PDA

View Full Version : Boogie Boarding with E.T.

guitarzan
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I got hired to track a sound-alike. This is me, Logic Pro, an Apogee Duet, and a loaner Anderson Classic shredder with a Floyd Rose (which I overused...). To get in the spirit, I tracked it with zebra-striped spandex leggings on and 2 cans of Aqua Net in my hair.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

it's about 9mb, so be patient. (http://www.dognmoon.com/anderson/boogie_board_ET.mp3) Also, it's a little over 4 minutes with the outro solo but that will be a fade once it gets edited. These are just the rough tracks of mine to send to the producer guy.

I have so much respect for Satriani now. Not only are these parts really creative, but to string them together musically is very very tough. There are some good YouTube vids of him playing this live and absolutely tearing it up (in a good way). The gap between him and I just widened by a few extra miles today.

markus
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
That's pretty cool! :D Nice job!!!!
I was once talked into a similar job. The owner of my wife's Martial Arts school was shooting a training/instruction video and wanted some Joe Satriani style guitar tune for it, so I wrote a tune called "Run Scarred" and set out to record it with my iMac, Garageband, a Line6 PodXT and my Anderson Classic... of course also equipped with a Floyd. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I didn't do the spandex and the Aqua Net - DAMN!!! - and that's probably why the tune isn't as cool as yours. ;) Here it is anyway if anyone is interested:
http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/song_153945

tom
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
nice job corey! when you left with the guitar i thought it was a pretty tall order with what they wanted from you. you are brave indeed. the visual is just a little disturbing though.

bud
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
dang, you are ready to ride the crest of the 80's resurgence.

Nice work!

guitarzan
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
nice job corey! when you left with the guitar i thought it was a pretty tall order with what they wanted from you. you are brave indeed. the visual is just a little disturbing though.

Thank you, Tom. The chart they sent was just a lead sheet with the hits on there (and they sent over mono mixes of the programmed drums and bass), so I was just as skeptical as you were. :) But once I added a little crispy crunch and stereo delays, everything kinda fell into place. haha. I'll get the guitar back to you asap. First I need to find a way to get Aqua Net off the fret board.

tom
04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
no rush on the return. i don't have any shredding gigs on the horizon.

dannopelli
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice playing Corey! Really cool solos!

What did you use for amps and such?

dannopelli
04-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Markus,

Very cool! Did you do the rhythm parts too? Nice arrangement. Nice soloing.

I can see everyone Kung Foo fighting to that!

guitarzan
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice playing Corey! Really cool solos!

What did you use for amps and such?

Thanks, Danno. But the solos are really just variations on the originals, so I can't take any harmonic credit...

The gear...
The rhythm tracks are hard panned left and right. I'm playing pretty much the same thing on both. One is a Soldano-style model and the right channel is the Gibson Goldtone model. Both of those were tracked direct from the XLR mono out on the back of a Line 6 Flextone III. The solos were all done with the same Soldano model, just with compression and lots of delay. Everything but the two rhythm tracks were mic'd with an sm57 into an Apogee Duet and straight into Logic. I thought about using my gigging rig, but the Line 6 was already set up and it was easy to dial in this sound. :)

guitarzan
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Markus,

I agree, Markus. This is very cool. Hard to believe how great the sounds can be these days with such cost effective gear!! Your solos are really fluid sounding. I appreciate how you lead into melodic phrases with little 16th note ascending runs. Good stuff indeed.

markus
05-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Markus,

Thanks so much! I appreciate the kind words!
Yes, I wrote the song from scratch and recorded the whole thing. The rhythm guitar consists of 3 layered tracks + overdubs... then the lead guitar track, the bass I actually keyed in with a keyboard :eek: and the drums are standard Garageband loops.

markus
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I agree, Markus. This is very cool. Hard to believe how great the sounds can be these days with such cost effective gear!! Your solos are really fluid sounding. I appreciate how you lead into melodic phrases with little 16th note ascending runs. Good stuff indeed.

Thank you very much! Yes, it's unbelievable what a $300 PodXT can get you on tape. But... try the thing live and you're dead in the water. They're great for recording, but that's about it in my opinion...
Thanks for the nice words on my tune. Very much appreciated. I still dig your Satriani better though! ;)

chasyboy
05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I think a little more mullet and a vibrato that goes on for, like 16 bars...Waaaaaaaaahaahahahaahahah. :) Great job, C...I think this might be your calling.

michaelomiya
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Cory, lovin' it! Gary Hoey? Endless Summer? All good!

michaelomiya
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Thank you, Tom.... I'll get the guitar back to you asap. First I need to find a way to get Aqua Net off the fret board.

..and since when did the shop have floyd-loaded classics layin' around?!?!:cool: :cool: :cool: :p

mdrs
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Great job, both of you!! I really enjoyed the cuts............

huzits
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
+1 Great work guys! I like it. :)

ConnemaraGuitar
05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Very impressive, Corey. I didn't hear any excesss Floyd Rose. One question, though: you WERE wearing a shirt, I hope!

csd
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
nice job guys, great to hear that stuff again! ;)