PDA

View Full Version : Crowdster+ Stainless Steel Fret wear

noregretsguitar
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a 10-28-06A Crowdster+. I noticed some significant fretwear on the 3rd and fourth fret in line with the B string. The luthier I have used for a while on various guitars of mine (including an Anderson) thinks this is unusual for stainless steel frets (also, he is reluctant to work on stainless steel fretwire). He wants me to bring it by his shop before he commits to work on it. (This luthier is licensed by a lot of major guitar companies and does warranty work for the local Guitar Center and Sam Ash music stores.)

I have played the guitar in a church worship team about 12 hours a week since I bought it.

Is this normal wear? If not, what might be a possible cause?

Thanks for your input.

tom
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
too much time spent playing the first 3 frets? kidding, but not really. i've seen a few with what i would call significant fret wear after a few years. with small frets and big strings, a person who plays with hard finger pressure, like lots of acoustic players, frets will wear way faster than light strings on heavy frets.i've seen crowders guitars, that have had 4+years on the road 200 days a year and the frets look new. and i've seen taylors that are 6 months old with frets that are gone. it's gonna vary greatly depending how people play.