PDA

View Full Version : Dings through Finish on Classic T

David
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Hello all, I was looking at picking up a Classic T that has a few dings in it,smaller than penny, but they do go through the finish, so I have been told. I have not seen the geet yet, so dont know how serious the dings may be. I wanted to see if there is any thing I should worry about in terms of these dings turning into full on cracks or becoming worse etc. and is there anything that I can do to help stabilize the dings. Thanks much dp

bruce
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
The paint Tom uses is super strong. Chips in the finish won't grow. Nothing to worry about if they are just chips and dings.

If there is structural damage to the wood then that is a whole different story.

tom
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
cracks and dings don't seem to spread easily. sealing them off with thin super glue would stop 'em dead.

David
04-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Thank you for that. Thats what I wanted to hear, great!dp

Stys
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
The first ding I got on my beloved ice blue classic t devastated me. However, this guitar remains my favorite of all time because it now has character. Fender has the whole worn retro thing going but, aren't self inflicted bumps and dings better? Each ding tells a story.

David
04-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes definitely, got to say not used to seein too many TA's dinged up. Actually if any one has a nicely used TA would love to see pix.the Distressed Classic, I am just looking for permission to not baby my Cobra!! HaHA! dp

greenpicks88
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM
man, I love my Atom. Being only a year old it has still collected a fair number of dings, chips, buckle rash, and everything else. I just don't "play nice" when I play I guess. I'm having too much fun!

I think that's better than the folks that get nice instruments and just let them sit in a corner and look pretty.

On the other hand, my 5 year old Les Paul is missing a LOT of paint already... hmmm, maybe I could chill out a little bit. ;)

Mister T
04-29-2009, 06:18 AM
My red classic is pretty banged up, the finish is splitting in many places and there are dings all over the body from gigging and playing it over the last 6 years.

The cosmetic issues don't really show up in photographs. It isnt until you get close that you can see that this thing gets played A LOT and has never been babied. The UV finish is very tough, I have a strat with a nitro finish that is worn right through on the back and it is newer than the Classic.

dannopelli
04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Chicks dig scars.

picnic
04-30-2009, 07:28 AM
The first ding hurts the most. The HTC that I bought new in 06 was laying on the a padded coffee table in front of the couch I was sitting on. I got up and the strap caught my sneaker pulling the guitar off the table. The guitar's top edge, near the front strap button hit the bottom of the table and dinged through the paint pretty good. OUCH! The ding is about an inch long and stares right at me.
Stupid unnecessary ding and I'm kicking myself. AAARRRGGGHH!

mdrs
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
The first cut is the deepest....................

ConnemaraGuitar
05-02-2009, 08:49 AM
A Barbie Band-Aid will cover that ding. And then there's nail polish...

But then again, as Danno said, chicks love scars.