PDA

View Full Version : String gauge timbres/response - anorak question

iTwang
04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
:D Hi everyone,

I've found that some instruments (with a bolt-on neck. I'm partial to that sound) sound) give me a better response/dynamics with a thinner but regular gauge string set .009 compared to a .010, any thoughts or suggestions on this? Tom, anyone?

tom
04-18-2009, 01:07 PM
i use mostly .010's live, but really enjoy the fluid tone of 9's at the shop. i could never play them live cause i can't hit them hard enough but they're fun for just noodling. i do have 11's on a particular guitar and really love them on it as it's a brighter sounding guitar. the bigger strings darken it up a bit and i can really hit it hard. it's got bigger frets than i would normally use so the bigger strings help with tuning too.

John Price
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I was using 9's forever until about 4 months ago when I decided to string up with 10's and I never looked back. Was there a huge difference in tone to me? No! But what I did notice was that I was playing more in tune. My chords were sounding so much more together or in tune realizing that I have a tighter grip on the neck than I thought. Plus it gave my guitar a little more output. My picking became more accurate as well!........

Wow! That was a revelation!......

OK! Back to playing!!!

iTwang
04-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Tom and John,

many thanks for your input!

After playing guitars for many years now (and working in front of a Mac a lot the last ten years) I recently felt some tingling sensations in my ring and little fingers on both hands and did some research. It seems I have early symptoms Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and decided to switch to a lighter gauge string set immediately.

I was surprised when I fitted the Classic (it is my main, main guitar) I have with .009-.042 Elixirs, 'cause the sound, volume and timbre was not that much different from the heavier .010-set and it actually sounds a bit better!

Tom, kudos to you for building great guitars that always work (hence Guitarworks, maybe? ;-)

mdrs
04-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I started with 9's many moons ago! I evolved to 10's, which are my standard choice today. I'll use 11's on some of my LP's, especially when I'm playing a lot. I use a hybrid set of 10's on the bottom and 9's on the top for my vintage guitars that have the old '50's small fretwire.

I hit a guitar pretty hard, and like the resistance of heavier strings. I think the heavier strings have more of an impact on the magnetic fields of pu's, and give you a bigger tone.

Now, I do not go higher than 10's on a Strat.......I don't like that feel.

I recently messed around with tuning down a step.........it's pretty amazing how 10's suddenly bend like 9's, but still sound like 10's!! You have to "adjust" your string attack, as the strings do bend much easier tuned down.

lvergne
04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Similar to mdrs. 10's on longer scale such as Strats and 11's on shorter scale, such as Atom, Cobra, Les Paul. I find that it balances out the feel of the guitars when I switch.