PDA

View Full Version : To float or not to float a Floyd?

schofnsteen
03-24-2009, 10:15 PM
To float or not to float a Floyd is the question. Thoughts on each. Are you blocking the pullup? Any thoughts on the Tremol-no.

pipedwho
03-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Tried the Tremol-no and didn't really like what it did to the feel. When 'floating' it took away some of the szhingyiness, when set to half floating it didn't feel 'solid' enough (for want of a better word), and when fully blocked it still didn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

I ended up going with some custom made wooden blocks that I could easily install/remove into the trem cavity. Had it set to 'hard tail' for about a year, and now I'm back to a free floating full torso vaporous apparition.

Gotta love those Floyds. :D

markus
03-25-2009, 12:47 AM
I have all my Floyds installed floating... I once played a EBMM with a blocked trem and it just felt weird to me not being able to pull up. I also have to say though that I don't really like it when a floating Floyd is not recessed as it changes the neck/body geometry somewhat.

The only circumstance under which I'd consider blocking my Floyd is if I decided to install a Hipshot D-tuna, but so far I have either taken two guitars with me to the show or just learned to play everything in Drop-D! First reason is a great excuse to buy more Andersons also! ;)

Hope this is helpful.

schofnsteen
03-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Beautiful guitars!!

mslugano
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I am not too into Floyds any more though I still have one guitar with one. Mine floats and the only alternative I would consider is Tremol-no.

I have installed Tremol-no on two Suhrs with the stock trem bridge and highly recommend it. I do not notice it is there unless I have it in the blocked setting. If I am not planning on using the trem I block it so bends are easier, stays in tune better, doesn't go out if a string breaks, I don't have to worry about the strings going sharp if I rest my hand on the bridge and I can detune to drop-D. I think I might get better sustain when it is in the blocked setting too but I can't be certain.

Honestly, when someone says they don't like Tremol-no I can't help but believe that it was most likely installed incorrectly. Just go to YouTube and follow the instructions. It's really easy and fast and I like that I don't have to make any permanent alterations. (I know this sounds like a sales pitch but I do not have any vested interest in Tremol-no at all. I just think it's a great little product.)

pipedwho
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Definitely installed correctly here. ;)

I like to keep my Floyds super sensitive, and the Tremol-no definitely affects the feel of the bar by taking away some of the 'flutteriness'. I even oiled it in the end to see if that would help, and it did a bit, but I could still tell something wasn't quite right.

For those that are more heavy handed with their Floyd, or maybe like a stiffer feel, the Tremol-no would probably be fine.

BTW, I didn't mind how it felt on a regular strat bridge.

mslugano
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Definitely installed correctly here. ;)

I like to keep my Floyds super sensitive, and the Tremol-no definitely affects the feel of the bar by taking away some of the 'flutteriness'. I even oiled it in the end to see if that would help, and it did a bit, but I could still tell something wasn't quite right.

For those that are more heavy handed with their Floyd, or maybe like a stiffer feel, the Tremol-no would probably be fine.

BTW, I didn't mind how it felt on a regular strat bridge.

You know, I hadn't thought about it but I suspect it could be different on a Floyd. Unlike most trems, a Floyd is perhaps a bit more sensitive and I can see the Tremo-no remove a bit of the fluttery-ness. Depends on what you're looking for and how you use a trem, I suspect.