PDA

View Full Version : M size pickup, but more humbucker sounding?

rfield54
03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking of changing out the M3 neck position on my Cobra (M1-M3-M3) for something with a bit more of a true humbucker tone...a hot pickup with a bit more mids and a bit less highs than the M3. Apparently it will need to be something other than a TAG pickup. Given the cavity size issues and the fact that I want to stick with black, I'm looking for suggestions. I thought I read a few years ago that EMG had one out, but all I can find are their P-90 series, which are too big. Thanks, Roy

tom
03-22-2009, 06:49 PM
you have an m1 in the neck, the m3 is in the bridge. we do make an m1+ but it's still going to be a fatter version of the m1.

rfield54
03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Whoops, I meant to say the M3 "bridge" position...sorry.

tom
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
that's the hottest mini we make. if you're really after full size humbucker tone, i'd route it out and put in what you really want. the ring will cover the mod.

SonicGator
03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
i'd route it out

:eek:

just the thought of doing that to a TAG makes me ill

tom
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
but if it's not working for you, either mod or replace it. this is one place where a mod would be in order if you love everything else about the guitar. there would not be any potential surprises with a simple pu mod. i don't usually recommend heavy mods because you get into unknown areas with potentially unpredictable results and usually the money spent is not recovered if you sell.

rfield54
03-26-2009, 01:32 AM
I'll play it this weekend along with a Les Paul I've never gigged with, to get a better idea of whether I want to have the surgery performed. I don't know if I want to change the incredibly cool sound I'm presently getting with the bridge/middle combo. And I do love the look of the three M's. I may try modifying the base of a Seymore Duncan Little '59 (bridge position Tele) to make it fit in the M cavity. It'll probably look out of place next to the bigger M's, but I recall it sounding fat in my Hollow T. I'll let you know how it sounds. - Roy

rfield54
06-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, I tried retro-fitting the Duncan Little '59 and installing it in the bridge...it didn't last long, as it's output is a bit lower than the the M's in the middle and neck and I need the opposite. Tom, when I checked the archives for guitars with the combination of a full size humbucker (bridge) with two M's, I noticed that most of them were ordered with the H3 in the bridge. Is that the suggested combo with regard to pickup balance, and specifically if one requires a bridge pickup that is slightly hotter than the middle and neck Pups? Anyway, when I send it back for the neck/fret issues, I'll want to have you do the modification :eek: . - Roy

tom
06-04-2009, 12:15 AM
you don't have to go as hot as an H3. the HF's work great with m's. it all depends how hot you want to go.

dannopelli
06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
If you love the three M sounds, (I have two with those PUPS, and could never change them, for the same reasons you state,) then it sounds to me like you should just get a CT...

rfield54
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
But I DON"T like the M sound in the bridge . . . and what is a CT?

tom
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
i think danno is teasing you into a new guitar. if the goal is less highs and fuller mids from your bridge pickup, then an H3 will certainly do that. you have another anderson, yes? what's in that and is that more what you're after?

rfield54
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
10-4 . . . My other TAG is a Hollow T (11-16-98P) with the TV1 VA1 TV3 pickups. No bridge humbucker there.

How about the HF2? Keep in mind that I now have an M3 in the middle, which by the way sounds amazing, the best middle pickup I've ever heard (adjusted 7/32" below the high E).

tom
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
i only went to the H3 because you mentioned wanting less highs. the HF2 has very sweet highs and a great full but not hard middle. it would also be a great match to m's. you have M1 in the middle, right?

rfield54
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
No, I modified an M3 to fit in the middle slot. It's a nice, large sound. Much more lively and way less dark than the original M1. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm now able to drop that pickup down (almost 1/4") and still achieve tone nirvana. That's why I'll need a fairly high output bridge Pup. - Roy

tom
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
i think the HF2 would work nicely.

dannopelli
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
i think danno is teasing you into a new guitar. if the goal is less highs and fuller mids from your bridge pickup, then an H3 will certainly do that. you have another anderson, yes? what's in that and is that more what you're after?

Yeah I was just pulling your leg.

But have you PLAYED an Atom CT? WOW!