PDA

View Full Version : Worn out jacks

markus
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Roughly every 3-6 months the jacks on my guitars are wearing out and need replacement. Not that this would be a big deal, as the part is cheap and the repair simple, but I'm wondering if anyone else is running into the same problem or if it's just me.

The only explanation I could come up with is that I used to use Planet Waves cables and their plugs have this "patented compression spring" mechanism that is supposed to keep a snug connection, but I bet it will also widen the jack a little over time. However, I'm now using Neutrik plugs on a fresh set of jacks, but the problem still doesn't seem to go away. :-(

Any idea what might be going on here? Or is 3-6 months pretty much the life expectancy of a jack if you play a lot?

Thanks & have a great weekend,
Markus

tom
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
the planet waves connecters do scare me. they do seem to scrape the jack. monster cable ends are also on the large side so once you start using them regular switchcraft jacks don't fit snug.
i have never had to replace a jack in any of my guitars in 30+ years, but if you live anywhere near the ocean, i suspect you'll have trouble. most jacks are nickel plated, and it does oxidize pretty easily. i have never tried any gold plated ones, but they might help, but the planet waves plugs would probably remove the gold pronto.

markus
03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Ahhh.... that makes a lot of sense Tom! Thank you! Our house is about 1/2 mile away from San Francisco Bay. :eek:
I might give the gold-plated jacks a try. In any case, I assume the problem only occurs when the guitar is exposed to salty sea air and not when it's sitting in the case, right? Would keeping it in the case as much as possible mitigate the problem? And does the salty sea air have any other negative impact on the guitars?

tom
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
in the case will help, but sea air is pretty nasty stuff. my inlaws live at the beach and all the metal in their house has had to be replaced from corrosion.
as for other components, anything steel like pickup pole pieces and non stainless screws are in danger. most all the screws on our guitars are stainless, but lots of the black screws are black oxide steel. floyd parts are the other danger, lots of steel there. wiping any steel parts off with wd40 or other light lube couldn't hurt.

markus
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM
:eek:!!!!
I have indeed seen some rusty screws and pole pieces over time, but always blamed it on sweat from my hands... even though I always wipe down my guitars with a microfiber cloth after I've played. Luckily all my Floyds are in good shape - no rust there.

I do clean all steel parts on my guitars with wd40 once every few months, so I'm glad I'm at least doing the right thing...

Thanks Tom!