PDA

View Full Version : Pickups detailed specs

fusgtr
03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Tom

I would like to ask you if it's possible to provide to us a more detailed specs for the pickups like eq, output in milivolts, dc resistance etc.

For example dimarzios and duncans has these details in their sites. I would like to know for instance the eq for H2+ or SA1R or whatever...
I know that you must have somewhere these specs but is it possible to post it or something?

Thanks!

tom
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
we design by listening, so we don't have electrical specs. i don't think that dif mfg's test in the same way as each other so comparisons between brands don't mean much. a pickup is the result of all it's components, so even dc resistance readings can be totally meaningless. i feel like most "specs" people publish are fairly meaningless.

fusgtr
03-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Ok Tom, i totally understand as every manufacturer has differenet measurements

I just wanted this as a generall guide.

For instance i want a bridge pickup with medium bass and treble but with an increasing amount of mids for the kinf of music that i'm playing

I saw in the pickups description some kind of that info but i thought that maybe it could be a bit more specific

Anyway thanks!

Mister T
03-16-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm not Tom but that person wants an H2+

tom
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
i think we'll let mister t be tom for a while, good call.

fusgtr
03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
i think we'll let mister t be tom for a while, good call.

Tom, you trying to avoid "responsibilities" my friend?:)

I'm not Tom but that person wants an H2+

hhhmmm....."that person" already has a H2+ on his HDT....:)

sincerely
(.....that person)

tom
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
if "a person" already had an H2+ and wanted fatter low mids and wouldn't mind a little more output to, i would tell "that person" to try an H3.

fusgtr
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Tom maybe the "super hot" term scares me a bit, i prefer medium output pickups

And i think that mids adds in overal output - correct me if i'm wrong.

Just i wanted to say that from the moment that i have an H2+, if i knew how much are the mids of it in percentage, i could easily have a picture of lets say an H3 in its corresponding percentage value. Especially when there is no way to actually listen a pickup before the installation.

I know that this is an issue for every pickup, no matter specs or whatever but i think these kind of infos are helpful

anyway my 2c

tom
03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
mids cover a pretty big territory. some people call mids 800 htz, some treble controls are way up at 7-10k. that's a pretty big space in the middle. are you after a fatter low middle or more of the upeer middle that puts things more in your face? you know you can always lower a hot pickup to change the character while keeping the output down.

fusgtr
03-17-2009, 04:11 AM
You hit the nail on the head...i'm talking for these FAT LOW MIDS!!!! it's going without saying that the remaining bass must be tight and the highs sweet and singing.

I know that these are just "terms" but you get the picture.

Don't get me wrong, i love my H2+ just i wanted to know how is differs from the other pickups of the family, like H3 etc

tom
03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
you're describing the H3 in all you're saying.

schofnsteen
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I LOVE the H3. I'm into classic rock. Hope that helps. Of course the wood greatly influences the sound in these guitars.