PDA

View Full Version : Fret wire size ?

spitalny
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
What kind of fret wire (in terms of size) are the Anderson Stainless steel "Heavy " frets?

stevem7
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Seems though I read somewhere in the past Tom uses Jescar fret wire, but I'm not certain on this. Here's a link, in case it's true:

http://www.jescar.com/fretwire.html

Ahess86
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
For what its worth I followed that link and they show a couple Tom Anderson guitars on their website.... looks like a good lead.

tom
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
all our wire is made by jescar. they do the best job ever.

spitalny
03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
ah...but what size (or gauge ?) is the wire? Isn't there some number like 6xxx or something like that?

tom
03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
jumbo=6100
heavy=between 6150 and jumbo in height, more triangular in shape.
low rise=6150
med=6105
small=6230

bruce
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Tom,

Your heavys are the Jescar # FW51108 right?

tom
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
that sounds right,but i haven't looked at the numbers lately. i think you need s or something for stainless.

spitalny
03-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated!

P.

bruce
03-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Yes, S is for stainless. I like their new part numbers. They are the actual size of the fret... very cool.

morty
03-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I am going to order Medium ss for my next TA. I have heavy`s on my current TA, but want to feel a bit more fretboard.. and i dont like that its so sencitive for pitch, playing ex. an open D chord or A, my ears go nuts when pich waries from how hard i press.. I am looking forward to get a brand new one.

MapleGuitar
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I am going to order Medium ss for my next TA. I have heavy`s on my current TA, but want to feel a bit more fretboard.. and i dont like that its so sencitive for pitch, playing ex. an open D chord or A, my ears go nuts when pich waries from how hard i press...My understanding is that "medium" frets are taller than "heavy" frets and thus would make the pitch issue worse.

morty
03-11-2009, 02:08 AM
My understanding is that "medium" frets are taller than "heavy" frets and thus would make the pitch issue worse.

WOW then i have to change my order!! could anyone tell me what to get??

tom
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
if too much pressure is causing pitch problems, the low rise would probably be the right choice. you really should think about trying to lighten your touch. for whatever reason, i feel less"cheese slicer" on my fingers with mediums than heavies even though they are virtually the same height. but i can play any of them.

morty
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
if too much pressure is causing pitch problems, the low rise would probably be the right choice. you really should think about trying to lighten your touch. for whatever reason, i feel less"cheese slicer" on my fingers with mediums than heavies even though they are virtually the same height. but i can play any of them.

I know I have a bit hard left hand, maby its because i have a bit bad tecnique and used to play a Fender electric and Tylor Accoustic with very low frets amd action, and partly because my ears is very sencitive to pich! I had very big problems going from regular intonation to BF intonation.. but now i love it!! ;-) and I have learned to play without compensate for intonation in the same places. i think low rise would do it for me.. if not i just have to send the guitar back and refret with heavyes like I am used to

tom
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
sending a guitar across the ocean for a refret would be crazy expensive.

morty
03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
sending a guitar across the ocean for a refret would be crazy expensive.

But I am crazy for the perfect Tom Anderson guitar! haha I also have relatives in California, who visit Norway now and then, so maby they could have the guitar as lugagge...but my final spec will say lowrise..

My local Guitar shop is a big dealer for PRS, and i like to play them, and they have other good brands and in fact they are so good that they sell gear to other countries around. inspite of good deals i still want an Anderson guitar!!

tom
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
the frets in a prs are like the low rise.

morty
03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanx Tom!! nice to know! i have played a few PRS and i realy like their necs and feel! but I am a strat player and i am not getting the tone i want from the PRS! after i played an Anderson, i have not tought of PRS as an option any more!

the frets in a prs are like the low rise.

tom
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
i wasn't suggesting you buy a prs, only that you probably have played the low rise frets on them.

morty
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I understood that!! I just wanted to say that PRS makes good guitars, but I like my Anderson Drop Top more than any PRS i have played on. The reason i have experience with PRS is that my local music shop sell them, and I had the oportunity to try out different models..I realy like this forum and the nice service you have twoards the customers. Many times after gigs people have come up to the stage and asked what guitar i am playing, many people in Norway dont know what a Tom Anderson is!! but they all hear the nice sound and see the stunning looks!:)

i wasn't suggesting you buy a prs, only that you probably have played the low rise frets on them.

stevem7
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
When I was going over the specs for ordering my Classic last year, I bought a cheap digital caliper and measured all the fret sizes, neck thicknesses, and fingerboard widths on all my current guitars, selected from that what I thought to be my easiest-playing of the bunch, and then weighed in what style of music I'd likely be playing on the new Classic, and used that to determine which neck options I wanted.

I wound up choosing the medium fret size, and couldn't be happier with my choice. And a .03 oversized even-taper neck. It's really something. I think the neck on my Classic is the best thing about that guitar. Tom and gang's fret dressing is really some superb work.

wolf
11-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but are the details of the heavy frets still the same ? Jescar 51108 SS ?
My old PRS needs a refret and I love the Anderson heavy frets so I'd like to use the same wire.

morty
11-08-2016, 10:36 AM
That was and old thread!! but I realy like the Medium frets! I ordered the medium in my new DT! It was perfect for me! I have also bought a HST, that have medium! realy nice on shortscale too!

wolf
11-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Heavy Frets for me. They're on my Drop Top and I've chosen them for my current custom order.
I want them on my PRS so want to confirm the part number remains the same.

BFC
11-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Low rise for me.

tom
11-08-2016, 12:27 PM
yes, those same jescar frets.