PDA

View Full Version : Pickguards and tone impact

michaelomiya
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
http://members.cox.net/eddyrox/TAG%20DTC%20whole.jpg

at the risk of splitting hairs here, I recently had the priviledge of landing this NAMM show piece. It's got an alder back and maple cap.

Acoustically, it has a pronounced low mid voicing, a lot deeper than my other DT's (also alder/maple).

Question: does the pearloid pickguard (3 ply) figure into the slightly darker voicing? If so, how would a thinner p/g change the tone?
Or is it a result of a more resonant piece of alder?
Or am I hearing more alder quality because of the cavities on a DTC vs on a DT?

Devnor
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't really know...but I love that Cajun Magenta DTC!

geoangus
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Would love to hear the answer. If I opt for a bridge 'bucker on my Hollow Classic, I'll be needing a new pickguard, and that white pearloid has my number.

tom
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
we think the hanging pickups are fuller and wider sounding. that's one of the reasons we semi shock mount all our pickups in pickguardless guitars. i don't believe that different plastics sound different from one another, but vinyl can be more susceptible to static than the pearl.

michaelomiya
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
we think the hanging pickups are fuller and wider sounding. that's one of the reasons we semi shock mount all our pickups in pickguardless guitars. i don't believe that different plastics sound different from one another, but vinyl can be more susceptible to static than the pearl.

thanks tom, but even acoustically, this DTC sounds fuller/rounder on the low mids when compared to my 2 drop tops (both maple/alder). could the cavity cuts on a DTC (vs a DT) result in a more resonance/overtone which in turn brings out more of the alder character?

tom
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
could be? could also be a combo of that and just the piece of wood.

Harry
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
How do they sound plugged in?

michaelomiya
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
How do they sound plugged in?

it's really difficult to isolate the impact on tone when plugged in. First off, the bridge pickup is a HN3+. So sonically, this guitar is a flamethrower. Tight, tight lows, but with enough mids to rip through the mix. (neck H1-, middle SF1).

so that's why I chose to compare the guitars unplugged. plus, the sonic qualities of the body (as with any Anderson) are typically not colored (significantly) by the pickups. And what I am "hearing" through my amps is LOT more low mid (compared to my other Drop Tops).

and in another "duh" moment, I realized that what I really maybe hearing are the 10's (as opposed to 9's on the other DT's) on a long-scale guitar.:rolleyes:

tom
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
mikey, miley, mikey... that would be a significant difference!

michaelomiya
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
mikey, miley, mikey... that would be a significant difference!

:rolleyes: I know:D ...over the last couple years, it's literally been all Cobra/Atom (and other big-boy company guitars) with them "big" ol' 10 gauge strings. I forgot how slinky - and thin-sounding - 8's (yes 8's) and 9's are on a guitar.

But, the "thicker", super resonant, alder body "theory" sure sounded good....;)

bud
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
But, the "thicker", super resonant, alder body "theory" sure sounded good....;)

I was going to say yesterday that I usually find Tortoise guards sound darker than Pearloid 3-ply (but everyone was being so nice and helpful) :D

Glad you tracked it down. We can all sleep better this weekend.