PDA

View Full Version : Atom content... African Rosewood??

Ahess86
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I have my eye on an Atom that has an African Rosewood fretboard listed. The TA website says that this is the wood primarily used on Cobras.

My Cobra happens to have an Indian Rosewood fretboard. Any noticeable differences between African and Indian? Any benefits of one over the other?

tom
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
we used to use it on all cobras, atoms and crowdsters. the supply got too inconsistent so we gave up on it. it might have had just a touch harder top end which on a mahogany guitar is not such a bad thing.

Ahess86
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. Any difference in grain/feel?

tom
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
pretty similar. african might be just a touch glossier. it has bigger pores but less of them than indian.

Ahess86
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
OK great, thanks again. Now I just need to sell a McPherson to free up some green to buy the Atom :)

JohnnyBeck
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
One of my bandmates just bought a mcpherson. Oh My Goodness...that is the most incredible acoustic guitar I've ever seen or heard. I have some other friends who are now very interested in them. So if you decide to sell the mick...let me know what you'll be asking for it.

thanks!
j

coaltrain
02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I made the mistake of playing a McPherson once, makes my Martin feel like junk (and I love(ed) my Martin).

Strange thing is, the guy that makes McPherson guitars (which are great acoustic guitars) also makes a great compound bow that has been making some waves in the archery world.

SonicGator
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh man, I played a Redwood Top/Ziricote Back and Sides McPherson at Gruhn Guitars...huge mistake! As if that's not bad enough, Matt has one sitting in a glass case in the Nashville Airport just teasing me every time I go by it! :mad:

Thoth105
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh man, I played a Redwood Top/Ziricote Back and Sides McPherson at Gruhn Guitars...huge mistake! As if that's not bad enough, Matt has one sitting in a glass case in the Nashville Airport just teasing me every time I go by it! :mad:

First and second time I ever saw one was in a case on a concourse in the Minneapolis airport. Still haven't played one, which is I gather a good thing. Really cool looking instrument.