PDA

View Full Version : people do weird things

kingtone
02-18-2009, 11:53 PM
pickup issue...

I got some TA pickups in a trade and have a strange issue. Whoever removed them from the guitar desoldered the four wires directly off the pickup! I got them in the boxes from a friend and did not check them closely enough. I do not think he knew himself as he got them in a cobra purchase as extra side items. I think I can solder them well enough I just do not know which wires go where and I do not want to take my cobra apart to look. So if you are facing the pickup with writing right side up where do the wires go? The pickups are an H1 and H3. Thanks.

Pietro
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
If it's like the H2+ I have in my drawer waiting for a home some day, it's...

upper left green
lower left black
upper right red
lower right white
and the ground is soldered to the plate on the right.

I even added a photo for you! If this is wrong, someone will correct momentarily!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z209/Pietro_gtr/wires.jpg

tom
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
we do flip the lead wire around on the neck pickup on cobras so it will look different

pipedwho
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
we do flip the lead wire around on the neck pickup on cobras so it will look different
Is that the wire that automatically cuts in when you start soloing? ;)

On a serious note, does that mean that Cobra and Drop Top pickups are wired differently in the pickup or just wired differently in the guitar? And, why are they wired differently?

tom
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
the wires are on the pickup the same, the wire just exits the other direction. so the pickup is spun 180 degrees. when installed the opposite coil comes on from the bridge pickup so it is humcancelling but still the neck most coil.

kingtone
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
the wires are on the pickup the same, the wire just exits the other direction. so the pickup is spun 180 degrees. when installed the opposite coil comes on from the bridge pickup so it is humcancelling but still the neck most coil.

HELP!

following up on this...

so I have started on these pickups and I just read this. If the back of the pickup is facing upward as I am looking at it and I am reading the logos both right side up do the wires look the same? It looks like the little bracket is on the same spot on the same side on both pickups so I can't figure out whether he tried them both in the bridge position or what..? I know you said you flip the wire around but I did not know if that meant turn the pickup where the logo is upside down for the neck pickup or put the bracket on the other side as the pickup is right side up or do they come out of the opposite side, etc. Sorry for such confusion but what fool would disconnect the wires!? Then I got them in a trade from a friend who did not even look at them when he got them and also does not know how to fix them!

tom
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
sorry for over complicating this. the pickups are all made the same. when installing in the neck position, just turn it 90 degrees so the wire is pointing up towards the low E string. if there's not enough lead wire, you can remove the strain relief and reposition it so the wire exits the other side.

kingtone
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
One more tidbit...I noticed in the picture posted from above there seemed to be a shield attached to the baseplate. The pickups I have (have black fiber type bottom not brass) do not seem to have been done like this and there is no wire for it unless it has been cut really close to the insulated part on both ends. Any ideas? Thanks Tom, you are a lifesaver like always!

tom
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
on the fiber bases, the shield is just connected at the controls end.