PDA

View Full Version : Mic suggestions

Stys
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Greetings all -

I am in need of some suggestions regarding a good mic that I can use to better record my acoustic guitar. Currently, I am using an AKG C-1000. Nice mic - sorta a workhorse but, I want something that will give me a fuller sound with greater clarity. I am using Larrivee and Breedlove guitars. I also hope the same mic can be used to record mandolin. I have read tons of reviews but, I feel comments and suggestions from players on this forum would better describe mic options.

I am recording with Logic and my interface is the Apogee Duet.

Lastly, when recording my cabinet (Boogie Thiele 1x12) I usually use an Audio-Technica High Energy Dynamic. I understand the industry standard is the Shure SM-57 however, any suggestions out of the ordinary?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

csd
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
i used to use a lot of diff mics and ya we did find ourselves using a 57 (and even 58's) for micing cabs. it's a rock n roll mic. my brother-in-law actually uses a nt-1000 (rode condenser) about 12" off a cab and mixes with a 57/58. gets a bit of the room, which is not too large. rode's nt 2a or ntk tube mic are nice and can be used for the other things you need it to mic, the ntk sells for $700 (can) up here and it comes with the power supply.
on the mobile studio, we used akg 414's, neumann u-87's and u-47's, but ri's are big bucks. the newer tlm 127 is more reasonable, but still well over 1k.
that's my 2 cents.

michaelomiya
02-17-2009, 03:38 AM
check out Heil PR40 or PR30 (narrower bandwidth) for a high resolution across the spectrum, Audix I5 (low mid emphasis for cleans), Shure SM57A beta (good for acoustics, with a touch higher mid than the SM57). no ribbons for me, but a lot of folks with good mic pre's opt for the AER's or the Royers

Suriel Zayas
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
any suggestions out of the ordinary?

sennheisser 609 or audix i5

Suriel Zayas
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Greetings all -

I am in need of some suggestions regarding a good mic that I can use to better record my acoustic guitar. Currently, I am using an AKG C-1000. Nice mic - sorta a workhorse but, I want something that will give me a fuller sound with greater clarity. I am using Larrivee and Breedlove guitars. I also hope the same mic can be used to record mandolin. I have read tons of reviews but, I feel comments and suggestions from players on this forum would better describe mic options.

I am recording with Logic and my interface is the Apogee Duet.
for acoustic recording, nothing beats a nice matched pair of akg c 451b's, imho. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Janine Doubly
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
The Rode Nt1A is simply one of the best all around mics for a lot of uses. Its cheap and sounds great on vocals, acoustics and guitar cabs (I love it on my Z 2 x 10" cab for clean tones). I used a Blue Kiwi for some stuff recently that I liked A LOT. Big, rich and warm sounding. Great detail and dimension, but not too forward sounding. It makes for a great drum overhead if you want a warmer/slightly compressed cymbal and snare drum sound. Just be sure to have a VERY heavy duty boom stand/arm if you are dangling that bid ole behemouth over a drum kit!! :eek:

The M Audio Sputnik is quite nice too!