PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Anderson!

scmavl
02-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I'd been looking for a strat-sounding guitar without the strat layout (especially that volume knob!). I like playing teles and was looking for an American Fender Nashville tele when I ran across this sweet number. I'd always heard about TA guitars, but hadn't looked into them, as I assumed they were WAY out of my $$ range. However, I got a great deal on this one used, with a few nicks & dings, but recently refretted (by TAG) and in really great shape. Now I've got all of the strat quack I want, along with some tele bite that plays easy as pie. Now I know what all of the fuss is about. Thanks for building an amazing guitar, Tom!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/santaclausmachine/taclose.jpg

Serial number 01-01-00P

Model - T Classic
Body Finish - Translucent Blue
Body Wood - Swamp Ash
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Jumbo SS (replaced Mediums)
Back Shape - Slim
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Non-Tremolo Fixed Bridge
Pickguard - White Pearloid
Pickups - TDO VA1 TV3 (the TDO replaced a stock TV1)
Switching - 5 Way, Vintage Voicing

mdrs
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Beautiful guitar. You'll never be sorry you own it!!

Welcome to the fold!!

Andyville!! :D

Road King
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Sweet axe man. congrats. Welcome to the TAG faithful. IMO they are the best value in guitars today, considering the fit, finish, tone, playability, and what you would pay for a custom shop guitar anywhere else.

picnic
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I owned that guitar this past summer for a few months. I remember the middle pickup being able to give some great tones. A fret job was needed and I traded the guitar for another TA that was local.
Glad to see the fret job was done and you have a killer guitar to play.
Good luck with it

dannopelli
02-12-2009, 11:06 AM
VERY NICE! Great color! That is a MUCH better deal than the Fender!

toadcaller
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
That's a beauty. Congrats!

*Drool!*

AndyT
02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Very nice! My '94 Hollow T came with a TD1- and a TD3 pickup. The TD0 would be very similar to the TD1-, but with slightly lower output. If you ever get the desire to swap the neck pickup, try the new TF series. I replaced my pickups with the TF1 and TF3 and I couldn't be happier.

scmavl
02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I haven't played with pickups as much as you guys. Usually when it comes to electronics, I let the local shop handle it. But I was wondering about the VA1 that's in the middle. It has raised pole pieces which I continually hang my pick against (I'm used to playing dual humbucker guitars with no middle PU). Is there a TA pup that sounds about like the VA1 but has flat pole pieces like my other pickups? Or can I lower them without losing much tone? I hate to change the pickup because I really dig the sound of the VA1, but I want the most comfortable playing guitar possible.

Thanks!

AndyT
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
At my local TAG dealer they have a Hollow T Classic with the same pickup arrangement as yours. It has the following pickups:

TF1 Neck
SF1 Middle
TF3 Bridge

The SF1 has flat poles, will give you a bit more output (I believe), with hum canceling like your TD0, with very cool tones. This guitar was the one I played that convinced me I should replace the TD pickups in my Hollow T. I don't like hot, midrange heavy pickups and all of these sound pretty healthy without being honky, and maintain a good Tele/Strat vibe.

If it were my guitar, I would get the TF1 and SF1 to balance things out, and if you want to leave the TV3 in the bridge, you should be just fine. I have a TV3 in my other TAG and it seems like a good match.

Another option if you like the TD0, would be to get an SF0 (I assume they make this) to better match the output of neck pickup.

Overall the TF and SF pups keep that nice single coil sparkle while being hum canceling. They are the only stacked pups I have heard that sound like a good single coil.

scmavl
02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Good Lord, it's amazing being on a forum where you get such useful and complete answers. I think I'll try the SF1 first & see how much of an output difference there is before I replace the neck pup too. Thanks Andy!

AndyT
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
No problem!

I think you'll like the SF1. :D