PDA

View Full Version : pick up question

Road King
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Anybody want to take a stab at recommending some different pickups for my TAG. It is a drop top hollow T, swamp ash under quilted maple, maple/rosewood neck. It sports a H2+ in the bridge slot and an H1- at the neck, 5 way switch in with a pull knob to split the middle.

What I'm looking for is a less modern sound, less harsh. Sweeter and clearer. Esp in the bridge, something that doesn't push the amp so hard. I find myself using the split positions more and more to cool things down a bit, but I miss the fullness of a HB sometimes.

Any thoughts?

Brad

Of course TAG pickups would be my first choice.

mslugano
01-29-2009, 03:37 AM
I have a similar-ish T (pic below...I've reversed the controls back to "normal" tele style since this pic was taken) but it is hollow Alder with maple. I don't know whether your pickup route would allow but I really love the M1, SA1, and TV3+ (n/m/b)in mine. They really cover a lot of ground, especially when you throw in a 5 way, vintage voicing, toggle for boost and add bridge.

The M1 really gives me fullness in the neck but when the bridge is added, it's thinned out. The TV3+ in bridge is never going to sound fully like an HB but it is very full/powerful for a tele pup and, like on most teles, when you roll off the tone a bit it fattens up nicely and goes HB-ish with more bite. In the "vintage voicing" and/or boost off position, it gets right back into tele-ville. Finally, the SA1 blends great with the other two for the in-between tones and has the quack of a strat by itself.

Alternatively, you could never go wrong with a full set of M's. M1,M1,M2 works wonderfully normally and M1+, M1, M3 gives you more oomph for the HB'ish stuff. I have both these combinations in a DT and a Classic. M3's really get into mid-powered HB territory.

Again, it sorta depends on how your body was cut, but, if possible my setup is very flexible and I highly recommend it. Otherwise, I totally love the M's in my DT's and I bet something like a M1, SA (or VA), M3 n/m/b would be very cool in a t-type (as long as you had vintage voicing and switchable boost to better match an sc in the middle).

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/mslugano/AndersonTClassic106-11-05p2cropped.jpg

AndyT
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
The Hollow T Drop Top has no pickguard, so changing to M style pickups or single coils is not going to be easy or pretty.

I just traded in a similar Hollow T Drop (on the 2nd TAG in my sig) with an H1 and H2+ and I understand why you want to make a change.

Tom will probably post soon and suggest some of the new pickups they have available. They don't have info posted on them yet, but from what I understand sweeter vintage style tones are the order of the day.

mslugano
01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry. So confused.

I think I read that Tom has pickup rings that act as adapters for M's into a HB hole. Could be wrong.

The Hollow T Drop Top has no pickguard, so changing to M style pickups or single coils is not going to be easy or pretty.

I just traded in a similar Hollow T Drop (on the 2nd TAG in my sig) with an H1 and H2+ and I understand why you want to make a change.

Tom will probably post soon and suggest some of the new pickups they have available. They don't have info posted on them yet, but from what I understand sweeter vintage style tones are the order of the day.

tom
01-29-2009, 12:06 PM
the new hf's or hc's sound like what you're after. just depends how far you want to go in less output. the hf2 will be close to the same output but with the character you're after. the hf1+ will cut the output down to close to vintage level with an edgier top end. i've probably said it before, but what i'm loving about these pickups is that they can be edgy on top but not pointy and harsh.

malabarmusic
01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Can we look forward to a comprehensive summary description of all the current offerings? :)

- DB

tom
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
if you are willing to look far enough forward. we are in the middle of a complete rebuild of the site, and until that is done we're not likely to add to the old one.

pipedwho
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
How does the 'edginess' of the HF1- compare to the 'edginess' of an M1 (or M1-)?

tom
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
very complimentary. am just putting together a ct with a new hc1- in the neck instead of my regular mc1. will let you know how it fairs this weekend.

Dave K
01-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Tom, can you rename all the pickups so it's not impossible to keep track of them? I'm confused by all the H series already! :D
How about Fred, Wilma, Barney, Bam Bam, Pebbles, Dino.......
just saying' ;)

Road King
01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I'm fired up. HF or HC which shall it be?

Ya know, a naming system like that could work. Cause you could tell easily which pups were complimentary. Fred and Wilma would work well together, and you could put a Pebbles in the middle. Fred and Barney would be friendly. But Barney and Wilma would be a no no.

It could work.;)

tom
01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
one consideration on HF vs.HC. the cover is a bit larger in the corners and may require a little routing to make them fit in older guitars. also on a pg guitar, the pg holes would have to be made bigger.

Pietro
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Well I'm fired up. HF or HC which shall it be?

Ya know, a naming system like that could work. Cause you could tell easily which pups were complimentary. Fred and Wilma would work well together, and you could put a Pebbles in the middle. Fred and Barney would be friendly. But Barney and Wilma would be a no no.

It could work.;)

I don't know about the others, but FRED has already been used. Darn!

tom
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
we had considered humphrey for a wiring scheme, but that was already taken too:(

Road King
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Are the hc and hf models currently available? I know that the website is being redone (can't wait) so they aren't listed. If so how much and does anyone want to buy a h2+ and h1- in perfect condition?

Metron
02-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Also, you'll still be making the H and HN series right? I finally got to play a guitar with an HN2+ and nearly fell over with how much I liked the tone. I'm broke and can't get one now and I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't get one in the future.

Please Tom, keep my dreams alive!!!:p

tom
02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
it takes a lot for us to discontinue a pickup. not to worry.

csd
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
hey tom, how did you like the HC1- instead of the MC1 neck pup swap in the CT??

tom
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
really enjoyed it. it's a bit louder but still a jump down from the hc1+, and a bit bigger bottom which i really enjoyed. the parallel sound was very useful and the middle combination sounds were great. it was a new guitar too, but it may get me to change out my mahog ct.

csd
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
really cool. i'm excited to hear the new series pups. i know the HF's are going be a little diff compared to the 'covered' ones, especially in mahog. (CT w/ HC's opposed to HF's in alder...i think you know what i mean!!)

...sounds like you might not be playing the plain maple top/Tobacco Fade CT as much, hummm???!!??

tom
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
have not played that one lately. the all mahogany one with the bigsby and now this natural one are the current fav's.

Ahess86
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Well gee if you're looking to clear some space and aren't using that maple top ct, just pm me for my address and you can send it on over here :)