PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian board

schofnsteen
01-24-2009, 02:33 PM
When will Brazilian be available again? Anyone know? It seems Suhr is still offering it as an option.

tom
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
near as i can tell there is none being brought in the country legally. it's available black market, but i'm not going there. also, of my 3 carve tops, the one with brazilian is my least favorite sounding.

schofnsteen
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow!! Least favorite because of the board?

tom
01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
weight, other woods and pickups are the same on all three. the brazilian one has a harder top end, less forgiving.

mdrs
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
weight, other woods and pickups are the same on all three. the brazilian one has a harder top end, less forgiving.

I agree, Tom. I use the tone knob to compensate more on my CT, which has a Braz board as well, in order to "warm it up".

The new HC2A in the bridge really helps. To my ears, it gives more "warm fuzzys" to my tone without sacrificing articulation. I really feel it's helped my CT a lot.

Do you have a humbucker that'd fit the neck position on a CT that would give more fat, blusey, warm and fuzzies?? The HC!-A I have in mine is a bit "hard on top", as you say.

tom
01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
maybe the hc1+. or maybe lowering what you have.

mdrs
01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks, T. I will lower and see how it sounds.

mdrs
01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Well...........

I lowered the HC1-A in the neck of my Atom CT, and the lower it got, cleaner and clearer the tone became!!! :confused:

I expected that lowering it would make it warmer, and fuzzier!! It was approaching the tone of a bridge or middle pu on a Strat!!!

So, I put the pu up almost touching the strings when I fretted the strings in the upper frets. With the strings almost touching the bridge HC1-A, it warmed up fairly well!!

I haven't had a chance to play it this way for longer than a couple of minutes. So, I'll play it some more tommorrow, and will report back.

Road King
01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Since Brazilian rosewood is on the bad list, I would say it will be some time (read longer than any of us can wait) before we will see any coming legally into the country. Enough time to plant and mature a commercially harvestable number of trees. Its probably going the way of Phillipine mahogany. Without responsible logging practices in other countries, and as long as there is an American and Chinese demand for cheap hardwoods other species will surely go the same way.

Brad
25 years in the lumber biz.

tom
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
i can only imagine what it would take to get a wood off the cites treaty once it's on there. if mahogany moves up a level on it we'll all be in trouble.

Road King
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Yep, I better order my CT Atom pretty quick. Tom, just curious, but could you offer a 30 year payment plan. I'd be willing to pay interest. :D