PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Help--H1, H3

elpelotero86
01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello,

I recently tried installing an H3, H1 combo into an ESP Ltd. I've failed each time to get each position to work.

My guitar has this switching system, which is just like a PRS:
1. Bridge humbucker
2. Inner coils in parallel
3. Outer coils in series
4. Outer coils in parallel
5. Neck humbucker

There are 7 lugs on the switch. The guitar has 2 500k pots.

I've been using this diagram: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/2/Megaswitches/Instructions/I-3530.html#details

And this wiring scheme for Anderson pickups: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.11pickupcolorcodes/

In particular, my bridge humbucker (position 1) has zero output. I think it has something to do with the green/white series link on the first lug because when I squeeze it with my fingers the volume jumps to normal.

Does anyone see something I'm doing completely or obviously wrong?

elpelotero86
01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Anyone?

Is my wiring diagram wrong?

tom
01-28-2009, 12:13 PM
i have not used that switch, but if the green and white are soldered together, i would suspect the red wire was not getting to hot if you have no output. could pin 7 not be making contact?

AndyT
01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I see Tom answered you. I would re-solder your connections. If you squeeze on lug one and you get full volume, I would start with that one, It sounds like a cold solder joint (bad connection). Next check lug 7 as Tom suggests.

Also, is that the actual StewMac switch you have, or do you have the original ESP switch?

elpelotero86
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Original ESP switch. I spoke to an ESP rep and that was all he could get for me. According to him it was the same. Apparently they don't have diagrams for their actual units.

AndyT
01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
If reheating the solder joints doesn't help, you may need to replace that switch so you can eliminate it as the problem and start fresh.

Did you make a diagram when you removed the old pickups?