PDA

View Full Version : whats going on with a boost?

replayboy
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Can Tom, Roy or any of you experts out there tell me,
I have had a hollow drop top T made with TV3 in the bridge and VA5 in the neck, in my veiw a excellent and very usable combination. As well as this, Roy suggested i have a pull on the tone control to have a boost to the sound, it works great but whats goin' on? is it wiring it in series or something? is it just increasing volume or do it drive it too? i would just like to know whats being done in case i can add the feature to my other Tele?
Any help guys?:)

tom
01-21-2009, 08:05 PM
it is a passive 4db boost. tone is pretty darn the same as without it. it does not involve connecting the pickups a different way. it is post volume control. as for technically how it works, it's a mystery to me. i don't know how you can make power without adding a power source like a battery, but it does.

pipedwho
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
it is a passive 4db boost. tone is pretty darn the same as without it. it does not involve connecting the pickups a different way. it is post volume control. as for technically how it works, it's a mystery to me. i don't know how you can make power without adding a power source like a battery, but it does.
It's probably taking advantage of the fact that the output impedance of a pickup is on the order of 100 times lower than the input impedance of the amp/pedal. If they're using a transformer, then it would increase the voltage while also increasing the output impedance. Thus decreasing the available current and keeping the power constant.

Anyway, however they do it, I'm loving the kickback function on my HCS, and I can imagine that the boost is just as exciting going the other way! :D