PDA

View Full Version : Wanted, humbuckers, vintage sounding,

kurt1981
01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey, looking for a neck and bridge full sized humbucker, to replace the H1 and H2+ in my droptop T. Just want a more open sound with a bit less focus and sharp sound, if that makes sense,

tom
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
hc1- and hc1+.

kurt1981
01-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey Tom, can you tell me anything about these, I don't see them on the website. Also, if I could ask, what's the difference between the SD's and the newer SF pickups? I'm wondering if the SF's would get closer to a true single coil sound, I'm not sure if I like the SD1 in the middle of my droptop so much. I just want to get the pickups right, the guitar is the only one that feels right in my hands now!!!
Kurt

pipedwho
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey Tom, can you tell me anything about these, I don't see them on the website. Also, if I could ask, what's the difference between the SD's and the newer SF pickups? I'm wondering if the SF's would get closer to a true single coil sound, I'm not sure if I like the SD1 in the middle of my droptop so much. I just want to get the pickups right, the guitar is the only one that feels right in my hands now!!!
Kurt
The SF1 definitely gets closer to the iconic vintage strat sound. But, if you only ever use the neck pick combined with a split bridge or neck, then you may be better off going for a single coil like the VA1 or VA5.

Another question for Tom, et. al.: How do the HF/HC pickups sound as compared to the HO1-/HO1+?

tom
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
not sure how to describe the hc's without sounding like i'm gushing. the top end is so sweet without being pointy and hurting. it gets edgy without getting thin. the low end is solid and defined without being boomy. can you tell i love them? they are wonderfully dynamic so they respond well to how hard you play. i particularly love the hc2 because it does all the great stuff a weaker vintage hb does but hit the amp harder for some wonderful natural compression when you really spank the guitar. the only thing they don't do well is split, but they sound wonderful in parallel. on the ct we now have the pull tone pot splitting both and humcancelling for a beautiful middle tele sound.

pipedwho
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
What is the difference between the HF2 and the HC2? Is it just cosmetic, or is there a change to the sonic character too?

tom
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
the cover. we wind the uncovered one slightly different.

pipedwho
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Do the covered ones come in a black chrome finish? :)

tom
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
ah........no