PDA

View Full Version : Proprietary strap-lock buttons/system

Armando
12-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Tom,

How about making a "proprietary" strap-lock system for Andersons past and present??? I've avoided using the Dunlops which all seem to be too bulky. In the mean time, I'm playing russian-roulette.

tom
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
"proprietary" at our size is not possible. i had a strap lock fail on me 25 years ago and have not used them since. the dunlop seems to be the most popular. the scahller squeaks sometimes. there is a large plastic/rubber washer thing that is actually pretty reliable.

Armando
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Are you referring to this contraption??

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii30/ADIAZ28/1153203186_STRAPLOK_ERGO_LOK_STRAP_.jpg

Hope not.........

dannopelli
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Tom was referring to something a bit more permanent.

guitarzan
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Are you referring to this contraption??

http://www.andersonforum.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=606&stc=1&d=1230666215

Hope not.........

I use something similar to these on all my guitars, but mine is more generic (and not made by dunlop). I picked them up for a little over a dollar at Stewmac.com. They're light, don't squeak, and are as reliable as all get out. They basically just hold your strap on the guitar, so if you trust your strap, you're good to go.

tom
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
the one i saw was more like a big rubber washer with a funny shaped hole that you just put on over the strap and forget.
the stew mac one looks good too, about $2 each, their part number 0257.

olectric
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a buddy in town who drinks a lot of Grolsh beer. After he finishes a can, he takes the red rubber washer off of the top and puts it on his strap peg over the strap end. Works like a charm. He gave me a couple of them a few months ago. I'm seeing them all over Nashville now. I'm sure you could take one to a hardware store and find an identical washer in black for a less conspicuous look.

tom
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
nice recycling!

Armando
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
It would be nice to try a pair in black. I'll have to check if the local hardware store carries small rubber washers. I've got an ACE, Home Depot and Lowes.

dannopelli
12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Lowes has all kinds of washers in all kinds of sizes. Some type of automotive gasket would probably be the trick.

Check the screw aisles. They will be in the grey pull out drawers.

tom
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
i think the responsible thing is to have a beer and color the washer with a sharpie:D

dannopelli
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
i think the responsible thing is to have a beer and color the washer with a sharpie:D
That's why you are the commander! Always thinking ahead! Always thinking about the environment, the economy, and our mental well being!

SonicGator
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Not nearly as exciting as Grolsch beer, but I've used the DiMarzio Clip-Lock straps with great success. One area I found it extremely beneficial was with a wireless system: I could put the transmitter on a strap and bounce between multiple guitars with ease.

I just ordered the new Ernie Ball Strap Locks, so I'll post a reply on those soon as well.

mdrs
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
The best strap locks I've ever seen are those that Pete Townshend and his guitar tech came up with years ago. They can be found on the PT Sig. Les Pauls.

Basically, the strap knob on the guitar is replaced by a threaded rod or post, on which two washer (read flat circular) like knarled bolts are used to secure the strap to the post.

If it "withstood" Pete, I'd say it pasted the test!! LOL

You can go here, and zoom in on the strap lock on the upper bout and see it here;

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/townshend/PeteTownshend.html

TonyG
01-01-2009, 05:54 AM
I had a Gretsch Tennessean 40 years ago which had the same knurled screw on locks system - going out to buy some Grolsch - Happy New Year!

hdhoo73
01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I had a Gretsch Tennessean 40 years ago which had the same knurled screw on locks system - going out to buy some Grolsch - Happy New Year!

My 6120 had those Gretsch screw type strap locks. I promptly replaced them with a set of Zeppelinns. I felt like I had to disassemble my guitar just to remove the strap...I love the Zepps!

Ray K.
01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Please check out my post in Pay It Forward regarding strap locks. :)
http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?p=45914#post45914

Ray K.