PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a GPS

FFOGG
12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
My lease just ran out on my SUV and I bought a car w/o a GPS ( my SUV had one built in that operated on discs ] Anyone have one ??? It has to be EZ to use and good visibilty .........I know this is a general topic area hope I am ok posting this

akivisuals
12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
My lease just ran out on my SUV and I bought a car w/o a GPS ( my SUV had one built in that operated on discs ] Anyone have one ??? It has to be EZ to use and good visibilty .........I know this is a general topic area hope I am ok posting this

I have a small Magellan and don't like it very much. The GPS on my Acura rocks though.

FFOGG
12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
my old one preinstalled did also :)

ConnemaraGuitar
12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
You don't need no stinkin' GPS, dude! You're a MAN! Just drive around until you get where you're going. DO NOT stop and ask directions, just look confident. And if someone askes if you know where you're going, come up with something wise, like,

"Life is a journey. Shut up and enjoy the scenery."

(This last does not work if lost in Newark, NJ.)

We bought a GPS last year, a Magellan. It invents streets. If we know where we're going and need a bit of humor, we fire it up and yell at it when it tells us to turn right when we know a left turn is indicated. "Re-calculating route" is the cleverest thing it says.

On the other hand, my wife seems to think it got her home (to Philadelphia) safely from Long Island a few months ago...via New York City. They actually drove by Central Park!!!

Buck up, man. Gas is cheap these days.

Then again, when my buddies and I are sailing 50 miles off the coast of California, we have at least three GPS units turned on at all times. They make us feel close to shore. Unfortunately GPS can't track the position of whales...but that's another story.

All I can suggest is: "Recalculate Route!"

FFOGG
12-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I know the Main Line has a GPS blocking waves built into the streets so no one can build on lts less than 2 acres in size ...:) :) :)

All kidding aside both of my sons play baseball and basketball all over the East Coast and its tough to find Starbucks w/o one :) :)

TSL
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
I would look seriously at garmin.
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us
Terry

FFOGG
12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I was on that site via Amazon ...any ideas on which model ???

Suriel Zayas
12-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I was on that site via Amazon ...any ideas on which model ???

tom tom one! it's with me in hong kong right now!:cool:

FFOGG
12-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Ok that must be a good one if it got you there from Jersey City :) :)

csd
12-13-2008, 09:35 AM
i've got a tom tom and it's worked well. my model doesn't find starbucks though!!

greenpicks88
12-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I prefer the rosewood fretboard over the maple on my GPS... mellows out the tone just a tad. ;)

Tomaniac
12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a Garmin NUVI 255W that made my last trip to Portland Oregon to visit my grandsons Oh so easy.
I think they are around $300.

FFOGG
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
For Tom Tom users ...does it really tell you when there is traffic up ahead ??

and it there a monthly fee of some kind ???

dannopelli
12-13-2008, 07:52 PM
All kidding aside, there is some credence to what Lofton says.

I have about a year old Garmin portable. I use it when I am stuck in traffic and need a detour. It is also somewhat useful when on business.

But it also got me to Lofton's house, 18 miles from my office, in just about 75 minutes!

My wife has a built in system in her GMC Acadia. Out here in the country, it regularly says, "just up ahead, there will be roads with no data. Please use the map to locate your destination." And the map will show where you are, the direction you are headed and the destination. But nothing in between. This was VERY useful when trying to find the ski resort we had never been to, 22 miles from the farm! Interestingly, the Garmin has no trouble finding this place.

I have heard lots of stories like those two.

In other words, these things are like power attenuators. They all do the job to some degree and they all suck to some degree.

But I do hear the Tom Tom and the Garmin are pretty much industry standard.

Focus upon what you really need. You do not need the built in MP3 Player, or other stuff. You have other toys that do that better. You DO NEED good data. Tom Tom has some nice features on some models that allow users to update the mapping data. Garmin is probably better if you travel outside North America. I believe they all charge for annual map updates.

Good luck! Check out Epinions, CNet, and other sites that might have reviews.

enr1co
12-15-2008, 02:27 AM
I just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 200W at the Target black friday sale for $119- I used it once since I purchased to find a restaurant and it seems to work well and easy to use.

It looks like its on sale again this week at Target for the $119 price.

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?action=entryflash&ref=nav%5Fweeklyad

FFOGG
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
http://shop.bjs.com/-249-99-less--50-Instant-Coupon-on-TomTom-XL-330--149-S-4-3--34--GPS-Receiver-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53274757VVcatId428349VVviewprod .htm

This maybe the one I am getting