PDA

View Full Version : Low output (H1+/H1) pickups in the bridge of a Cobra S?

Metron
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Does anyone own a Cobra S or Cobra with either the H1+ or H1 in the bridge position?

Being predominantly a Metal and Rock player, I was initially considering an H3, HN2+, or H2+ for the bridge of the Cobra S I plan on ordering but I've recently been playing around with guitars that have lower output pickups and liking the results. There's less compression and the tone's clearer. Even when turning the gain and master on my amps higher than they were with the high output pickups. It allows my amps to showcase their personalities more and gives me more control over the tone.

Tom has given me some great and helpful information in an email conversation we had before Thanksgiving and that's where I got the idea to play with the lower output pickups. I had asked specifically about the clarity of a Cobra S combined with heavy strings tuned down a half step and he said that as long the pickups weren't too hot, there shouldn't be any problems. After reading that, I decided to experiment and have stumbled across something I'm liking.

With that said, I'm now interested mainly in the H1+ and H1 in the bridge position and would love to hear what any of you that have owned, own, or have tried either one of these in a Cobra S or Cobra have to say.

Thanks.:)

Dave K
12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I had the exact same revelation about four years ago. ;)

The HO1+ is the closest thing I've found in the TAG line for a more open and dynamic pickup. Sadly, I've had to resort to other makers pickups to find more choices in PAF style buckers.

I'd love to see TAG offer a traditional series of buckers with slugs and polepieces, 42ga wire, DCR between 8-9k, choice of A2 or A5 magnets.......

Can anyone reading this make it happen? ;)

tom
12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
you're talking about hc's dave.

Dave K
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Please tell me more, Tom. ;)

tom
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
roy talks about them in the current gotw. the ct has covered ones. we're also doing uncovered ones.

Dave K
12-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Okay, I read the gotw, but I was hoping for a little more detail.
Is the uncovered version HUC? ;)

olectric
12-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I had an HO1+ in the bridge of my Cobra. It sounds great. I still get to hear it a lot because I sold that guitar to the other guitarist on one of my gigs. Low-gain and high-gain stuff worked equally well. That pickup was part of a short run of covered HBs that TAG made in the late '90s. Tom Holmes made the covers.

Speaking of Holmes and PAF-style pickups, I just put a set of his vintage style humbuckers in my Les Paul. They are great. Would love to experience TAG's take on that style of pickup. I like A4s myself.

ducmike
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I had an H02 in my last Anderson, a HDT, and it wasn't hot at all too me. Great clarity with plenty of drive. It will give you plenty of drive, but with clarity.

I ordered my new Classic with the H2+. I wouldn't call it hot either. But it does seem pretty bright on clean settings, not as smooth as I remember the H02. I went with the H2+ on Brian at Charley recommendation to go with the SFs.

The HC sound interesting, how would it pair with the SFs?

tom
12-11-2008, 07:13 PM
hc's pair well with single coils.
of the les pauls we listened to while working on the ct and the hc's, one with the holmes was the best. in the end i preferred the ct with hc's but then my name is on the headstock.

olectric
12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah I'll bet those CTs give a good CS Les Paul a serious challenge, especially since they are in the same ballpark $$-wise. Would love to hear one plugged in and cranked. They felt fantastic.