PDA

View Full Version : Attenuators/Power Soak?

Casper
12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Gonna need one for the new Boogie..MAN is this thing loud. My band leader will have a stroke when he hears this thing.
Anybody using these? I think the choices are THD Hotplate, Z Airbrake, Marshall and Bat Cat..
I may also call Mesa to find out if they recommend anything. Read some good things about the Z Airbrake and the THD. I want the most transparent one obviously.
Whaddya think?
Shaun

Thoth105
12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Gonna need one for the new Boogie..MAN is this thing loud. My band leader will have a stroke when he hears this thing.
Anybody using these? I think the choices are THD Hotplate, Z Airbrake, Marshall and Bat Cat..
I may also call Mesa to find out if they recommend anything. Read some good things about the Z Airbrake and the THD. I want the most transparent one obviously.
Whaddya think?
Shaun

I had the Z Airbrake. It worked fine - pretty transparent, but it didn't work for me in the end. I just couldn't get the right level of attenuation and actual volume (it was either too loud or too soft). Of course, I was using it for recording in my home studio. I imagine using it live would be much easier to figure out.

I think the Bad Cat Leash has a continuous attenuation knob, but I haven't been in the market for such a box for a while.

The producer I'm working with recommends the "Ultimate Attenuator." I haven't tried it, but he swears by it (as do a bunch of folks on the old Bogner list).
DB

Suriel Zayas
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
the hotplate worked great for me when i needed it (need it no longer, can we say egnater!!:D ). just make sure you don't use it beyond the -8db, -12db totally not useable.

Casper
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Guys, I hear the THD has eq switches and isn't as transparent. I read (from opinions) the Bad Cat is noisy and just what DB said, the Airbrake was hard to dial in..anyone else care to chime in?
Yeah Suriel, I played that Eganter Rebel and tried to lift the Tourmaster combo while in the store...SHEEESH! The rebel is way cool! I'm sure you have the bigger Eganter toys though..;)

tom
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
i think the hotplate is pretty good at -8 or less. the weber mini mass works pretty good too, but it think they all have their color, you just have to decide if it's a good color for you. it's unfortunate that their not easier to try out before buying.

Casper
12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
You're right Tom. Its a cryin shame I can let the amp naturally breathe, but I can't see letting the boogie loose at a country club or some of the smaller rooms we play. I can maybe demo the airbrake and the THD through my dealers. I will investigate the Weber and the Bat Cat a little more..these things aren't cheap. My sound man wants me to get one of those cases with the aurilex inside you just put the amp in with the mic and close it, but the heat would probably be intense...

Thoth105
12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
You're right Tom. Its a cryin shame I can let the amp naturally breathe, but I can't see letting the boogie loose at a country club or some of the smaller rooms we play. I can maybe demo the airbrake and the THD through my dealers. I will investigate the Weber and the Bat Cat a little more..these things aren't cheap. My sound man wants me to get one of those cases with the aurilex inside you just put the amp in with the mic and close it, but the heat would probably be intense...

Here's an alternative: http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/

I had an Axetrak, and it worked great as long as my amps were set to 1/2 power. I couldn't really open them up, but your Boogie should be perfect for it. The best part is it comes with a mic pre-installed. All you have to do is run a balanced line the PA! It weighs something like 10lbs.

Casper
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
But, I am not about lugging any more equipment than I have to especially wit what this amp weighs. the attenuator can ride in the same road case..just gotta pick one out..

mdrs
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I think that they all stink!!!

I'll sell you a couple of Marshall PB's if you'd like..............cheap!!

Pietro
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
The THD works great for me! at most every setting. I use it with my Bassman head and 4 x 10 cabinet. I actually LIKE the settings more than 8 or 12db cut.

maybe it depends on the amp.

Yngve
12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I've used both Weber MASS and THD Hotplate, and though my Suhr Badger 30 uses Power Scaling and not a attenuator, the Power Scaling implemented in this amp is by far the best sounding solution I've come across so far.

tom
12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
i think it's all about expectation. if you think anything will turn a fire breathing plexi into a bedroom volume gem you're dreaming. all the stuff we feel when we play loud isn't going to happen at 84db. the guitar doesn't get any messages back from an amp at that level.
i do like what some attenuators do at mild levels. a couple of my amps sound better to me when they are trimmed down by 4 db. it softens a bit of the harshness.

Suriel Zayas
12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
in addition to using the attenuator as it was intended, between the amp and cab i have used it in other ways. i recently used it to attenuate the line out signal of the amp and run it into a mixer and run stereo effects. worked nicely!

Casper
12-08-2008, 06:37 AM
I think I am going to demo a couple. If I can crank the amp a bit and still retain the tone, then it will be the right move. Toms right, I don't have any unreal expectations about bedroom levels, just want to Govern the master vol a bit. I think gain staging will be important too..thanks for the opinions everyone.

dannopelli
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Shaun,

Maybe since you got such a bargain you should sell it and get an Egnator Rebel? By the time you are done with tubes and attenuators you might make break even!

I am going to go try one tomorrow. Thinking of dumping my F30 to replace it with the Egnator.

mdrs
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I had a THD Univalve for a while.....a really tremendous amp, by the way. It has/had an onboard attenuator........I didn't like what it did to the Univalve's tone at all.

Every attenuator I've used alters the amp's tone. I just don't like that.

There are many and varied solutions to getting great tone at lower dB levels.

Smaller amps, master volume amps, and the use of a good clean OD pedal like The Klon in front of a good modest sized amp are a few ways to get great tone at lower dB levels.

Casper
12-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Danno,
I played one the day I got the DC-5. I liked it except for the single channel and no reverb (you can pick the head up with your pinky! The head and 112 should get out the door for around $700.00. I think the whole rig is 2ft tall!
Sounds real good though. I have always wanted a Mesa and I feel like I got a good one to keep. If the attenuator doesn't work and I am unable to use it in the band I'll just hang on to it for side gigs. Check the Tourmaster out!!!

FFOGG
12-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Every attenuator I've used alters the amp's tone. I just don't like that.

There are many and varied solutions to getting great tone at lower dB levels.

Smaller amps, master volume amps,( ONLY 1X12 SPEAKER ) and the use of a good QUALITY OD pedal like KLON ,The Eternity or OCD in front of a good modest sized amp are a few ways to get great tone at lower dB levels.

+1

strat56
12-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Doesn't someone make a volume control you can put in the effects loop to reduce the volume? I think I remember seeing something like that somewhere.