PDA

View Full Version : New Anderson in Action

olectric
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
So, I got my new Classic in a couple of weeks ago. Got to use it on a few shows and a session. It sounds great and looks great and feels great...we all know this...anyway, the session I played it on was for a friend named Bryan Edwards. He's an upcoming singer/songwriter who's starting to make a name for himself around town. This song, "Gettin' Good (http://www.myspace.com/justinomusic)," features my new Anderson Classic exclusively. Follow the link to my MySpace; the song should begin playing automatically when the page is loaded.

If I remember correctly, there are four electric guitar tracks on this song:

Gtrs 1 & 2: main hook and chorus (doubled & panned). Bridge VA5+ w/ VA Booster ON. Plugged straight into a Gabriel V33 head and 212 Weber cab close mic'd with an SM57 and a Sennheiser 421.

Gtr 3: fills/noodles/ect during the verses and the bridge. Middle VA5 & Bridge VA5+ w/ VA Booster OFF. Same amp, cab, and mics. Pretty much plugged straight in, except for a Carbon Copy delay.

Gtr 4: solo. Middle VA5 w/ VA Booster ON. I plugged into a cranked Princeton Reverb Reissue (modded with a 12" AlNiCo Red Fang speaker). Close mic'd with a 57, room mic'd with a bi-directional condenser at the studio. HUGE room. The Z. Vex Box of Rock is on (both the drive and the boost, I believe).

Please give it a listen (on some decent speakers!! :D), and let me know whatcha think.

My impression of the guitar is that it records REALLY well. There is something funky and cool going on with this middle pickup. Acoustically, when I play the guitar, the sound the wood makes very strongly resembles the sound of the middle pickup when plugged in, if that makes sense. I'm diggin it, for sure. :cool:

csd
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
that classic sounds great. i really like your tones man! CC: the gtr and licks could be a bit up in the mix, imo. well done.
craig

guitarzan
11-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree on the mix note. But I held my tongue because I never know if it's my Guitar Player Filter coming in to play. I always wanna hear more guitars, especially the solo where it's the focus of the tune.

If the guitar layer is struggling, bury him for sure- but when you got a good, soulful player, let him push out a bit!

dannopelli
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Justin!
Nice playing!

Actually, I think that other than the solo the mix is good. I think you did a great job.

Very interesting how vintage the VA5's sound. Thanks for sharing!

Danno

BrownDog
11-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Most excellent, enjoyed it a lot.

With tone and oneness, Mike

tom
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
nice! you're sure playing differently than before you moved to nashville. and i mean that as a compliment, you've adapted well.

olectric
11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
You guys are such guitar players! :D I think the mix is great. Okay, maybe the solo could be a touch louder. I wonder how many non-guitarists would think that...

Thanks very much for listening and for the comments. Anyone else really dig the VA Booster? I am impressed with how transparent it is.

And Tom, I am just trying to keep up with everyone else in this town!

tom
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
so far it looks like you've done really well keeping up. i'd starve if i lived there:(

Janine Doubly
11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Nice work!!! Very tasty. And the style I heard when you used to come into Mass Street is still there, just slightly Nashville adapted! :D

I am so glad to see (and hear) you doing well in NashVegas. Keep it up and stay true to yourself, which it sounds like you're doing.

Harry
11-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I totally dig my VA Booster! My PU's are VA 12-VA1R-VA1(neck). The Booster gives me the deeper and hotter tone I was looking for in addition to the non-booster tones. Just another reason to own a TAG.
Formula for success:

A TAG

A good board

And good hair!