PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ramsey vs. GAS /Any fans out there?

Kid Metric
11-21-2008, 07:53 AM
I am a Dave Ramsey fan, and also a gear fanatic.
These come into direct conflict at times.
Am I alone?
I suspect not.
I would love to hear your thoughts!

Ray K.
11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Dave is good.

I happen to be a leader for Crown Financial at my church (Howard Dayton, Larry Burkett). We teach one day seminars and also 10 week small group studies on handling money and possessions based on biblical principles. It is amazing, and can be absolutely life changing. It certainly was for me, and so I obviously look at gear acquisition in a whole different light these days. I've sold things I never thought I'd part with, with no regrets. I've also been very blessed with what has been entrusted to me. And I've learned to be much more content with what I already have.

Don't mean to preach, just letting you know I understand. :)

Ray K.

marsodude
11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
+1 on Ramsey.

jarrod
11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I Listen to him every day! he is awesome and inspiring to hear!

SonicGator
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Dave's da man! Wish I would have followed the "Live the no one else, so that later you can live like no one else" mantra earlier.

So maybe you don't get as many guitars now, but later, when you're completely debt free, you can buy even more guitars from Tom!

Pietro
11-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I haven't taken the course, but we teach it at my church.

BUT...

I no longer buy guitars (or anything) that I don't pay for immediately. If I've saved up enough to buy it, it's okay, but debt? Nope. Last guitar I bought was my PRS, which I love. But I had already sold off some gear and had it paid off before it ever arrived!

Only debt we have in our home (besides the debt to love one another :) ) is our mortgage. It's a good feeling.

marsodude
11-22-2008, 12:54 AM
I haven't taken the course, but we teach it at my church.

BUT...

I no longer buy guitars (or anything) that I don't pay for immediately. If I've saved up enough to buy it, it's okay, but debt? Nope. Last guitar I bought was my PRS, which I love. But I had already sold off some gear and had it paid off before it ever arrived!

Only debt we have in our home (besides the debt to love one another :) ) is our mortgage. It's a good feeling.

It truly is an awesome feeling. We even got rid of the mortgage!

Which is why I am ordering a new Atom Special!