PDA

View Full Version : Drop Top or Cobra??

Paychek
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
What is the difference in the drop top and the cobra. I am talking about the difference in sound, neck, playability, scale length, ect. All comments would be a big help in a second andy. Are the cobras heavier.
Thanx
Mikey

Stan Malinowski
04-15-2004, 07:16 PM
The scale lengths are different, 25.5 for the DT and 24.75 for the Cobra. The bodies of Cobras are only available in Mahoghany with or without a maple top. DTs can be basswood, alder, swamp ash or mahoghany. Cobra necks are only mahoghany with a rw board, maple necks with maple or rw boards on the DT. The scale length and body/neck woods lead the Cobra to be more of a typical humbucker guitar in the "Gibson/PRS sense". Very full sounding guitar. The shorter scale makes string bending abit easier. The DT is more of a super-Strat design with tone(depending on woods and pickups) ranging from a dead-on Strat to a very full tone. Playability with the longer scale (like all Strats) is a bit tougher. I have two HDTCs which weigh in at 6lbs 10ozs (swamp ash/maple) and 6lbs 12ozs (basswood/maple) while my Hollow Cobra S weighs a mere 6lbs 4ozs.

I think a Cobra and an Anderson DT/HDT compliment each other nicely.

pluto
04-16-2004, 03:49 PM
What Stan said. Playability-cobras are way easier due to the shorter scale length (don't have to find bending). They also sound a lot different. The solid cobras are very aggressive sounding-it is like TA says, like getting hit with a wall of sound. Solid mahogany is super chunky-I just love that tone for high gain stuff. The mahogany also adds a little bit more weight on the solid cobras, but the hollow cobras are just as light as the hollow dts. You basically can't go wrong with either the dt or cobra. I just prefer the cobra since I like shorter scale guitars and also because there's nothing subtle about that guitar. A cobra or cobra s into a Bogner amp is simply an amazing combination.