PDA

View Full Version : New Anderson Day

ducmike
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Got a call from Brian at Charley's that my Anderson showed up, so of course I ran down to Dallas to pick it up today.

It's the easiest playing guitar I can remember owning. In fact, it felt so easy to play I thought it might be tuned down for shipping. I was very surprised to find that I had to tune it down some when I plugged in at practice tonight. Well the band loved the tone, but I kept getting lost with all the switches. I need to woodshed with it before Sunday to get used to it and figure out all that I can do with it. I have played nothing but my Collings 290 live for the last 2 months, so it's nice to have some variety for a change.

Solid alder classic, H2+,SF,SFR, switcheroo, happy medium +.030. The LP Blue looks much better than the pics show. I just need to float the bridge (an important detail I left out) and I'm set.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/ducmike/IMG_1506.jpg

markus
11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Congrats on your new Classic!
Very nice!!!

pipedwho
11-06-2008, 04:37 AM
I love it! :)

csd
11-06-2008, 08:04 AM
that's a nice looking guitar. enjoy!

dannopelli
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow! Cool!!:) :) :)

guitarzan
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
tort guards are beautiful. I have a tort guard classic coming this month!

congrats congrats congrats!
-c

michaelomiya
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
The LP Blue looks much better than the pics show. I just need to float the bridge (an important detail I left out) and I'm set.

is that a new form of blue? (as in sparkle blue?)
looks great

markus
11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I think it's Lake Placid Blue:
http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPages/showSingleGuitarGallery.cfm?passedID=5&finishID=44&bodyWoodID=1

tom
11-06-2008, 03:46 PM
yes, lake placid. it's interesting, we have had a flurry of colors with tortoise pg's on them.

enr1co
11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
yes, lake placid. it's interesting, we have had a flurry of colors with tortoise pg's on them.

I guess tortoise brown is todays "black" :)

It certainly goes well with the LP blue- Congrats on the new classic! Your rosewood board looks very rich and chocolate-y.

The only color that I could imagine a tortoise PG not complimenting may be that key lime color once upon a time.

ducmike
11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks! It's a great ax.

Brian was really apprehensive about the tortoise guard, he wasn't sure Anderson would do it. He called me after he placed the order,to say that Roy and Tom thought it would look great.

Some one had a pic of a CS strat on TGP of LP with the tortoise, and thought it looked great. I have always wanted a Lp blue S type guitar, but never found one I liked, so I had to custom order the best S type out there. Actually, I have always wanted a shell pink S, LP's my second choice. But, I just don't have the balls or chops to pull to do it. I mainly play in a praise band in a small town, and those circles run pretty conservative.

The wife and kids are going out for awhile this evening, so I get to turn up the amp have some fun with it.

stratoquack
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow! That looks great. Congratulations
Bill

michaelomiya
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I guess tortoise brown is todays "black" :)

no way bud:D it's not like I'm gonna order "tortoise brown" hardware!:rolleyes: :p

Agree that the Lake Placid and tortoise are a smoking combo!:cool:

guitarzan
11-06-2008, 08:42 PM
a black n' tort Classic. scrumptious.

http://www.dognmoon.com/anderson/tort_andy.jpg

mdrs
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
That's a beauty.........

I sure don't need another guitar. But, looking at your new Lake Placid stunner, I NOW WANT ONE!!!

:D

ducmike
11-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Very nice black Classic.

I just spent a couple hours with it plugged in. I'm getting pretty comfy with the switcheroo now. Way more tonal possibilities than I thought. And some are pretty surprising. I found that the middle on hum and the bridge split is the best quack tone for me. Very hollow and haunting. But flip flop them and it still quacks, but with some power to it.

I did some A/B tests with my 290. The 290's not going anywhere either. It is almost as easy to play as the Classic and the only tone I can't get out of the Anderson is the Lollar P90 tone. My strat is out of here though.

Janine Doubly
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Question on Tortoise Guard material...

I have not seen a recent Anderson tortoise guard, so this may be a non-issue, but...

I have been noticing on other makers' tortoise guard material that its not really the classic "swirly" tortoise we grew up on, that its more like a "photo" tortoise material. Especially on Martin's pickguards. I have seen it creep into blanks of the stuff for making 4 ply guards as well. Anyone else notice this?

Tom, Roy, Bruce what kind of stuff have you been using?

tom
11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
we're using the same stuff we've had for the past 15 years or so. we have enough on hand for the next couple years or so. it will probably change then. the new stuff is coming from japan and is vinyl not cellulose nitrate. not that the material makes a dif, just that the colors are not the same. i have noticed that i don't like the color of the newer stuff i've seen. we have seen an increase in tort orders, so we may not have as long a supply as we think.

ducmike
11-10-2008, 10:07 PM
The tortoise guard looks great. It has more brown and a nicer swirl than some of the others I have seen. It's much more attractive than the guards I have seen on newer Martins and Taylors, they have more of a reddish color that just looks awful to me. I orderd my last Taylor with out the guard because of this.

My pic is pretty accurate as far as the color and look.

olectric
11-12-2008, 01:16 AM
a black n' tort Classic. scrumptious.

http://www.dognmoon.com/anderson/tort_andy.jpg
you stole my color scheme!!
Except mine has white singles in it.

tom
11-12-2008, 12:31 PM
that's just my beater classic out on zan's library card while his is being made. i keep trying to convince myself that someday when i grow up i could play a classic, but it's not working. i tried that one a few weeks ago and it sounded wonderful, but i just can't play that shape:(

olectric
11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
So it's you who has the good taste. :D

Janine Doubly
11-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Tom said:

we're using the same stuff we've had for the past 15 years or so. we have enough on hand for the next couple years or so. it will probably change then. the new stuff is coming from japan and is vinyl not cellulose nitrate. not that the material makes a dif, just that the colors are not the same. i have noticed that i don't like the color of the newer stuff i've seen. we have seen an increase in tort orders, so we may not have as long a supply as we think.

Smart man. I guess I'll need to order a guitar from you then, cause I love's me the tortoise guards!!:D

The stuff I've been seeing on other instruments is just atrocious. The nitrate tortoise guards are simply the coolest, especially when they age.