PDA

View Full Version : Bad Finish Gibson

David
10-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Hello all, Question about finish on my early 70s Gibson ES 340. After I've played a bit the back of the neck gets sticky, so that it is very difficult to move my hand... like there is almost a chemical reaction between the sweat on my hand and the finish. The other spot is on the face of the guitar if I sweat, which I do, and it gets on the guitar the finish becomes very cloudy.A friend had told me that it is because it is an early 70s guitar and they may have used some crazy lacquer? I wonder does any one have suggestions as to what I can do to get the neck so that it is smoother, a bit more slippery. I have used polish,Meguiar's quik detailer on it but it still gets sticky after I have played for a bit?Thank you for any assistance in this.I love the guitar and plan to keep it so I am not that concerned with bringing the value of the guitar down because I had to mess with the original finish.Thank you David

Benny
10-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi David, in my repair shop I run into this problem all the time on most Gibson guitars more than ten years old. They either have the symptoms you described, or they are fine (not sticky).It does appear to be a chemical reaction because the finish is easily etched by most polishes, or any kind of moisture or solvent. I end up using Menzerna polishing compound on a flannel wheel to polish out the haze (or remove the neck gunk) and then leave it alone.

David
10-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Thank you Benny, glad to know its nothing in my sweat. What do you have the flannel wheel attached to, and does it seem to smooth it out? best David

dannopelli
10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Thank you Benny, glad to know its nothing in my sweat. What do you have the flannel wheel attached to, and does it seem to smooth it out? best David

I had this same issue with an LP, (although it WAS actually back in the 80's when it happenned!)

My $.02, if you are not really comfortable working on finishes, which I was not and am still not, it is worth it to take the guitar to a GOOD repair guy. In this instance I find that the guys who work high end shops that sell things like Anderson, Suhr, etc, or high end acoustic shops do a better job with finishes. Violin guys are often good with finishes too.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you!

David
10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I think you are in PA as well, would you know anyone who could do this work within a couple of hours, NYC and Philly are good.Would like to avoid shipping it out.Thanks for your .02

dannopelli
10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I'll send you a PM.

Benny
10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Buffing is a very feel-oriented operation best taken care of by an experienced (meaning someone who may have lost the fight or two with a powerful buffing machine) qualified technician. Real shops know different finish characteristics and use sturdy, floor mounted buffing systems whose speed is adjustable for different types of finishes. You could try home- style buffing with an automobile buffer, or drill mounted system, but you would be taking a chance of causing more damage than already exists.

David
10-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Duly noted Thanks!