PDA

View Full Version : Drop Top vs. Cobra S - Discuss!

JoeB63
09-13-2003, 09:06 PM
I certainly understand the physical difference between a Drop Top and a Cobra S, but how different are they tonally? Really?

Which would you choose and why?

Joe

pipedwho
04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
bump .

dannopelli
04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, it is just not all that simple. What kind of drop top? What kind of wood combinations? PUPS?

Simply put, the Cobra is mahogany. So you get that sound vs. Alder, Ash, Primavera, Basswood, etc. Shorter scale so naturally warmer.

I guess we kind of need to know what specs you are considering for each guitar.

thefunkyone
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
LOL

Didn't I just make this thread a couple weeks ago? :D

pipedwho
04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
It didn't get any responses 5 years ago, so I thought I'd bump it and see if it does any better in 2008. :p

tom
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
something i've been noticing while playing guitars for the past few weeks. i've been pretty much playing short scale guitars for the past few years. while playing these long ones i've noticed that the low end stays cleaner with hotter pickups than the short scale does. the lows are lower and the highs are certainly higher. not a big revelation, but i've not been able to make hotter pickups work for me personally in short guitars.

dannopelli
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I actually prefer guitars with no more than medium output PUPS. I do not like for one component to overwhelm the others.

JoeB63
04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow -- I haven't been here for a while, and someone resurrected a thread I started 5 years ago. I don't even remember posting that.

Since then I bought a Hollow Drop Top Classic, and then traded it for a Hollow Cobra S, which I still have. I suppose that trade was around early 2005. That Cobra was my #1 gigging guitar for a few years. I play it less often now, not because I don't love it, but just because I've got to rotate the stock (so to speak).

So, to answer my own question now that I'm back from the future (or something like that), I prefer the sound of the Cobra S -- it's a bit thicker sounding and has more character than I remember the HDTC having. That HDTC had a very smooth, even tone, IIRC.

pluto
05-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow -- I haven't been here for a while, and someone resurrected a thread I started 5 years ago. I don't even remember posting that.

Since then I bought a Hollow Drop Top Classic, and then traded it for a Hollow Cobra S, which I still have. I suppose that trade was around early 2005. That Cobra was my #1 gigging guitar for a few years. I play it less often now, not because I don't love it, but just because I've got to rotate the stock (so to speak).

So, to answer my own question now that I'm back from the future (or something like that), I prefer the sound of the Cobra S -- it's a bit thicker sounding and has more character than I remember the HDTC having. That HDTC had a very smooth, even tone, IIRC.

That's funny, both of those guitars (the HDTC and Cobra S) were my guitars, weren't they? That cobra s was bit special IMO-I've played other cobras and cobra s's, but the one that you ended up getting had that certain "je ne sais quoi" about it! I agree though that cobras are a bit warmer and thicker sounding due to the woods and scale.

michaelomiya
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
That's funny, both of those guitars (the HDTC and Cobra S) were my guitars, weren't they? That cobra s was bit special IMO-I've played other cobras and cobra s's, but the one that you ended up getting had that certain "je ne sais quoi" about it! I agree though that cobras are a bit warmer and thicker sounding due to the woods and scale.

Hey, are you BACK again? Chiming in on the difference between a DT and Cobra S - are you qualified to do so any more???:rolleyes: :D

Put down those "big boy" guitars and go get an Anderson from Dan!:cool:

But to throw in my $1-0.98, I'd say that that punchy midrange of the shorter scale, and the lack of overtone, is really the difference to my ears.

pluto
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey, are you BACK again? Chiming in on the difference between a DT and Cobra S - are you qualified to do so any more???:rolleyes: :D

Put down those "big boy" guitars and go get an Anderson from Dan!:cool:

But to throw in my $1-0.98, I'd say that that punchy midrange of the shorter scale, and the lack of overtone, is really the difference to my ears.

Yeah, I'm back!! I'm still trying to catch up to your post count! Big boy guitars??? That's right! Everyone knows strats are for sissies. :p

JoeB63
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM
That's funny, both of those guitars (the HDTC and Cobra S) were my guitars, weren't they?

Yes they were.