PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Selection

marsodude
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I am trying to decide on specs for a new TAG. I am in Singapore so trying one to play is out of the question.

This is what I am thinking:

• MODEL: Cobra
• FINISH: Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
• BODY BACK COLOR: same
• BODYWOOD: Tubular Quilt maple on Cajun Red
• NECKWOOD: Maple with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
• HEADSTOCK FINISH: Matching
• NECKBACK FINISH: Satin
• NECK BACKSHAPE: Happy Medium
• NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16-inch
• FRETS: Jumbo
• BRIDGE: Vintage Tremolo
• HARDWARE COLOR: Chrome
• PICKGUARD: N/A
• PICKUP RINGS or COVERS & SWITCH TIP: Black
• NECK PICKUP: M1
• MIDDLE PICKUP: M1
• BRIDGE PICKUP: HO2
• SWITCHING: 5-Way with Kickback & Add-Bridge Push/Pull
• STRING GAUGE: .011-.049

I have a Crowdster Plus so I like that scale.

I have not played a true electric in years although I really enjoy that side of my Crowdster Plus. Three pickups may be a bit confusing for me! I am not even sure of the fret or neck sizes but I do like the way the Crowdster Plus feels. Not even positive that I want a Cobra vs. a Drop Top.

Most all of what I play is Christian Rock music. Probably Third day and U2 would be my favorites. So that's the sound I am looking for. Playing worship really calls for a lot of different sounds!

I really would like a Powerbridge but understand that they are no longer available.

I would appreciate any tips, pointers.

tom
09-25-2008, 02:37 PM
i think jumbo frets would be a mistake. since you've been mostly an acoustic player i'd do low rise or medium. i don't understand the different colors listed for back and front.

Pietro
09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Also, Bob, I think that the Cobra is pretty much only available with mahogany neck.

I have a buddy who has two cobras, one hollow and one solid S. They are seriously sweet guitars, but I agree with Tom about the frets. I'd prefer smaller frets since my main axe these days is the C+.

I'm also diggin' the black pickup rings. Creme ones (like on my PRS)... I don't like much.

last, get locking tuners. Absolutely the way to go with a trem imho.

LearnedHand
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't think Tom does maple necks on Cobras.

Tom,

What would a maple neck on a Cobra sound like?

tom
09-25-2008, 05:01 PM
locking tuners are standard with trems. correct, maple necks are not an option on cobras.

dannopelli
09-25-2008, 05:33 PM
+1 on all the comments about the fret size. Mediums give a very nice feel, especially if you are an acoustic player.

U2 sounds, maybe consider a Cobra S. A tad less bold.

Might want to consider an M3 in the bridge too. I like the look a bit better and it will get pretty gnarly too.

marsodude
09-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Man, you guys are SHARP!

Roy had spec'ed out a HDT for me a while back and I changed some of the
specs on it. That's why all the mis-match!

Tom, I understand about the frets.

Pietro, I am with you on the pickup rings and locking tuners.

Dan, let's talk about the M3. That's what I thought I wanted. I want something more than a single coil, but I just have no frame of reference AND I can't find one here in Singapore to play. You guys that play worship know what I need. I just want to be able to cover different sounds with the same guitar.

No comments on 3 versus 2 pickups? I'm like a kid in a candy store!

One more important, Hollow or not? I am kinda clueless.

Anyone have any idea what shipping would be to Singapore???

Thanks for all your input!

dannopelli
09-26-2008, 07:42 AM
I guess what I am saying is the M3 gives me very good, but not over the top Humbucker sounds, as well as nice single coil sounds. Plus for me, I like the look of all the PUPS being the same size. But that is for me. I am primarily a 'S" player. The HO2 will however give you pretty much all the humbucker sound you need as well as great single sounds when split.

I have two guitars with M1, M1, M3. At one time I had the HO2 in a DTC , and an M3 in a another similar DTC guitar. I still have the one with the M3. The HO2 is broader sounding, but for me not enough to warrant keeping that one over the other.

I have a Hollow Cobra S also, (03-23-04D), with M1, M1, M3. Remember, I am primarily a "S" style guitar player. In fact my five Andy's all but one are "S" style. I really find no issue covering all kinds of stuff other than REALLY heavy sounds. For those I'll switch to a Les Paul or PRS. But I can tell you that is really pretty rare.

So if you need a full on Humbucker that splits well, I think the H02 will be a great choice. However the M3 will give you quite a bit of what the H02 does.

How's that for not taking a stand?

marsodude
09-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I guess what I am saying is the M3 gives me very good, but not over the top Humbucker sounds, as well as nice single coil sounds. Plus for me, I like the look of all the PUPS being the same size. But that is for me. I am primarily a 'S" player. The HO2 will however give you pretty much all the humbucker sound you need as well as great single sounds when split.

I have two guitars with M1, M1, M3. At one time I had the HO2 in a DTC , and an M3 in a another similar DTC guitar. I still have the one with the M3. The HO2 is broader sounding, but for me not enough to warrant keeping that one over the other.

I have a Hollow Cobra S also, (03-23-04D), with M1, M1, M3. Remember, I am primarily a "S" style guitar player. In fact my five Andy's all but one are "S" style. I really find no issue covering all kinds of stuff other than REALLY heavy sounds. For those I'll switch to a Les Paul or PRS. But I can tell you that is really pretty rare.

So if you need a full on Humbucker that splits well, I think the H02 will be a great choice. However the M3 will give you quite a bit of what the H02 does.

How's that for not taking a stand?

It's good dude!

physicshammer
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey, I just got a used cobra with dual humbuckers (HO1- HO2) - I am coming from a cheaper dual humbucker guitar so it felt natural to me - and I wanted the big sound from humbucks. I was a little worried the HO series wouldn't be hot enough, but they are really thick and quite hot enough for me... nice intense sound.

I guess as far as pickups go, I've never played the M-series, but it sounds like they are a single coil on steroids, with all the high end, etc... and the humbuckers are thick heavy humbuckers... and then there's the difference in pickup placement - I prefer not having that third pickup where I'm picking, but those are the two considerations that spring to my mind.

I got heavy frets and love them - but I like to bend on big frets... I also play acoustic and it's a big difference, but I still prefer bending on big frets.

Also I got .010 gauge string, and that feels just a little tighter than .009 gauge on a 25.5" guitar to me... I think .011 gauge would feel pretty tight to me - but then if you're coming from acoustic and don't want to do big bends maybe it wouldn't feel bad at all....

just considerations...

MODEL: Cobra
• FINISH: Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
• BODY BACK COLOR: same
• BODYWOOD: Tubular Quilt maple on Cajun Red
• NECKWOOD: Maple with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
• HEADSTOCK FINISH: Matching
• NECKBACK FINISH: Satin
• NECK BACKSHAPE: Happy Medium
• NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16-inch
• FRETS: Jumbo
• BRIDGE: Vintage Tremolo
• HARDWARE COLOR: Chrome
• PICKGUARD: N/A
• PICKUP RINGS or COVERS & SWITCH TIP: Black
• NECK PICKUP: M1
• MIDDLE PICKUP: M1
• BRIDGE PICKUP: HO2
• SWITCHING: 5-Way with Kickback & Add-Bridge Push/Pull
• STRING GAUGE: .011-.049

dannopelli
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I got to confess:

I just went and did a side by side with my Hollow Cobra S and my PRS Singlecut. I do not have a solid Cobra, nor a guitar with HO2. So that was about as close as I could get. I also pulled out an Alder Classic with VA3 in the bridge, a 60's NOS Strat with Fralins and a bass plate, and a straight up 60's NOS Strat.

That said, the M3, kind of rides the middle between a humbucker and single. But it does not have anywhere near the output of the PRS. Not sure how this will compare to an HO2.

So it works for me, but I imagine if you need a full out Bucker, go with the H02.

physicshammer
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
hey i have the HO2+ (or whatever I posted above), and I think it's pretty hot... I did a comparison of my G&L legacy which has fairly hot single coils... anyway the HO2+ sounds really full and complex to my ears, and I like it.

I played a custom PRS singlecut (rosewood neck and fingerboard) at my local dealer, and that guitar REALLY spoke to me - the resonance when playing individual notes around the 12th fret was really outstanding.. I didn't plug it in though.

marsodude
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
You may have something with the middle pickup placement and picking. I do a fair amount of picking and I had not thought of that. I am wondering how much tone I would lose by dropping the middle PU? I know I would have to change the bridge.

Tom you play a 2 PU Atom? You pick much?

physicshammer
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
hey if you don't use trem, what about getting a CT?

i've gotten used to the middle pickup on my strat... but i like being able to pick fast between the pickups, especially for heavy stuff - i.e. dual humbucker stuff :)

tom
09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
i grew up playing teles and les pauls, so the middle pickup and combination tones are not really in my library of must have sounds. the middle pickup also can be in my way so i don't have them in the guitars i play out with. the 2 outside pickups is a mainstay for me for chording tones so that one needs to be easily accessible.

marsodude
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
i grew up playing teles and les pauls, so the middle pickup and combination tones are not really in my library of must have sounds. the middle pickup also can be in my way so i don't have them in the guitars i play out with. the 2 outside pickups is a mainstay for me for chording tones so that one needs to be easily accessible.

I just found a post from you from 01-07 saying basically the same thing.
That is probably a huge deal for me, not used to three PU's.
I am looking at an Atom Special, Bigsby, M1 and H02. If that covers everything you need then it should be more than adequate for me.

tom
09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
that's exactly the guitar i was playing for a couple years, and it covered all bases for me.

LearnedHand
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
On the 2 vs. 3 pickups. I think this depends on whether you are looking to get a Cobra S or a Cobra. Because the Cobra S looks more strat-like, 3 pickups seems to fit it. Whereas a Cobra is tele shape, 2 pickups seem to fit it. This has nothing to do with sound, it is all just on looks. I have a Cobra S with M1, M1, and H3, kickback and trem. It is my "swiss-army" knife guitar: it does a little bit of everything.

marsodude
09-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I seem to be leaning towards an Atom with Bigsby, MI and H02.

I can't seem to find any info on whether the CT can have a Bigsby?

I am liking the covered PU's!

Hollow or not?

marsodude
09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/marsodude/SageGreenMetallic.jpg
Can I get this with covered pups? M1, H2.

LearnedHand
09-27-2008, 07:15 AM
That guitar is "Built for Tom." It has a different neck wood that he has not shared with us. It also has a different neck carve than "happy medium." You will have to ask him nicely if he is willing to replicate it :)

mdrs
09-27-2008, 07:58 AM
If you are looking for one guitar that offers many different guitar tones, I'll put in a vote for a HDT.

My Koa on basswood body. The finest neck I've ever played.

Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Shaded Cherry Edging with Binding
Body Wood - Koa Top Flame on Basswood
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickguard -
Pickups - SA2R SA2 H2+
Switching - 5 Way, Mini Switch Splits, Pull Adds Bridge, Vintage Voicing
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings

The H2+ in the bridge is a really GREAT humbucker. Rocks with the best of them. The toggle allows all pu's to go single coil. The single coil tones are really good...not exactly a Strat. But, the "in between" spots on the five way both give excellent funky Stratty tones. I really like playing the neck pu as a single coil, and pulling out the tone knob which adds the bridge humbucker.....that combination is really nice.

Tons of tones, all in one of the most beautiful packages available. Tom strikes again!! This guitar is what hooked me on Andersons;

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/Electric%20Guitars/Anderson/AndersonKoa2.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/Electric%20Guitars/Anderson/AndersonKoa3.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/Electric%20Guitars/Anderson/CIMG1522.jpg

tom
09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
no bigsby on ct's. it won't fit in the case.
that special of mine could be for sale, i'd have to think about it some more. there are no plans to offer the m1 in a mini cover. you can get it disguised in a full size cover though, very sneaky.

marsodude
09-27-2008, 08:07 PM
no bigsby on ct's. it won't fit in the case.
that special of mine could be for sale, i'd have to think about it some more. there are no plans to offer the m1 in a mini cover. you can get it disguised in a full size cover though, very sneaky.

Why don't you send me an email.

Suriel Zayas
09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/marsodude/SageGreenMetallic.jpg

gotta love the commanders strap. ;) :D ;)

tom
09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
it travels from guitar to guitar. so comfy.

SonicGator
09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Isn't that the one with the $)^U<= neck?

tom
09-28-2008, 03:35 PM
yes it is.

Pietro
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Tom, if you sell it, sell it to Bob (marso).

He's a super-decent guy and deserves to have it. It'll get really played, not kept in some museum case. (NO offense intended to those of you who might keep your guitars in a museum case... none at all...)

Either that or just... (coughing sound)... you could just give it to me... (cheapskate alert...)

So Bob, gone from a cobra to an atom? Decided you don't need the piezo.

Speaking of piezos, I see the ghost people are going to be offering a piezo in a floyd rose! I could be tempted! I never really bonded with any of my floyd-equipped guitars... but one was close...

marsodude
09-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Tom, if you sell it, sell it to Bob (marso).

He's a super-decent guy and deserves to have it. It'll get really played, not kept in some museum case. (NO offense intended to those of you who might keep your guitars in a museum case... none at all...)

Either that or just... (coughing sound)... you could just give it to me... (cheapskate alert...)

So Bob, gone from a cobra to an atom? Decided you don't need the piezo.

Speaking of piezos, I see the ghost people are going to be offering a piezo in a floyd rose! I could be tempted! I never really bonded with any of my floyd-equipped guitars... but one was close...

Thanks Pietro! (I'll pay you that $20 later for saying that!) I did want a Piezo, can't get it.

Anyway, I gotta so do something quick cause the Gelb is holding one last slot for a new one with a January delivery. I am really waiting on Tom to decide what to do. If he decides to sell his I don't have to wait until JANUARY to play an electric! To all of you who read this, including Tom (hint, hint), can you remember what it was like waiting 3 months to have your first true electric!

tom
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
i can't take the pressure.
i have two atom specials i was playing. one is the one shown, the other is all mahogany with an amber to light brown burst. both have the same pickups and hardware. the brown one has a 60's vibe neck and the sage one has a happy medium. not sure what to do about the neck on the sage one, it is spruce and i'm not sure whether it should leave here or not. i could make a mahogany neck for it.
i say all this because since i let it be known that i might sell the sage one, 2 people have expressed interest.

Son of Anderson
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll trade you an 11 month old grandson for that guitar!

tom
09-29-2008, 11:58 AM
having a bad morning, are we? or a bad night last night? i'll be at home this afternoon waiting for the verizon guy if you want to come over.

marsodude
09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
i can't take the pressure.
i have two atom specials i was playing. one is the one shown, the other is all mahogany with an amber to light brown burst. both have the same pickups and hardware. the brown one has a 60's vibe neck and the sage one has a happy medium. not sure what to do about the neck on the sage one, it is spruce and i'm not sure whether it should leave here or not. i could make a mahogany neck for it.
i say all this because since i let it be known that i might sell the sage one, 2 people have expressed interest.

Well, sounds like you are willing to part with the green one and I want it so I will release the slot at Gelb. I am not too particular on the neck. The only frame of reference I have is my Crowdster neck.

tom
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
the green one is the one someone else has inquired about. let me check with him since he asked first.

marsodude
09-29-2008, 01:20 PM
the green one is the one someone else has inquired about. let me check with him since he asked first.

ok dad :-(

tom
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
my son is not getting this one. someone else here has inquired.

Son of Anderson
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah sorry to add confusion. I was kidding about the guitar.

and to grandpa, no had a great night and so far a great morning witht he little guy. was just being silly.

marsodude
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I understand. I am gone to sleep. It's 3 am here.

I will check for posts in the am.

marsodude
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I understand. I am gone to sleep. It's 3 am here.

I will check for posts in the am.

Bummer...no posts!

tom
09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
i think i'm not ready to part with the spruce necked atom special. it's been a very good friend and i'm just not ready yet. sorry.

csd
09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
hey tom, any interest in letting that tobacco fade ct go??? the M1 in the neck... you know the proto that didn't have much character on the maple top. i'd give it a killer Canadian home! tobacco fade is a favourite colour to me.

marsodude
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
i think i'm not ready to part with the spruce necked atom special. it's been a very good friend and i'm just not ready yet. sorry.

I understand. Thanks anyway.

I will go see Gelb.

tom
09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
marso, we've decided to do the covers on an atom special if that's what you're after.
csd, i'm still playin' that one when i'm not playin the mahogany topped one.

csd
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
it's a beautiful instrument. has there been a post of the mahogany topped one that i missed?

tom
09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
i have a photo but it has not been posted. i will see what i can do about that.

enr1co
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
i have a photo but it has not been posted. i will see what i can do about that.

I think this is the plain maple top?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/aview/7.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/aview/8.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/aview/16.JPG

tom
10-01-2008, 10:27 AM
that one is my mahogany special i mentioned in this thread. the mahogany ct is a lighter color and is... er...carved.

tom
10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
here's the mahog ct. it has a bigsby which you can't have because it won't fit in a case. it has the m1 hidden under ther neck hb cover.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/aguitars/TomMahtopCT-formailing.jpg

csd
10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
freekin' stunning!! i love it!

dannopelli
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hmmm...

After that photo I think you might need a meeting with your case manufacturer!

tom
10-01-2008, 06:52 PM
unfortunately there's more to it than that. those form fitted cases come from over seas because we couldn't find anyone here willing to make our shape in the quantity we use. the guys that did it for us did us a huge favor by running our small quantity, don't think i can ask again.
i had to do extensive carving to the bottom of the bigsby in addition to our normal mods to make it fit and work cool. i'm not sure what kind of price would have to be attached to make it work.
but we do have some of that curly mahogany...

csd
10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
is that a pau ferro neck? that looks great with the tobacco fade. curly mahogany ....mmmmm sweet combo!

tom
10-01-2008, 07:07 PM
no it's a light colored left over african fingerboard.

Pietro
10-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Tom,

those guitars are insanely beautiful!