PDA

View Full Version : C'mon Tom,give us a hint! (new model?)

Dave K
04-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Would it be a breach of TA security if you drop a few hints about what we can look forward to?;)

I'm looking for a Cobra S,but should I wait and see what you guys are up to?:D

tom
04-10-2004, 12:06 AM
i would hate to have someone waiting for a new product and missing out on having good tone now. i feel like i'm getting very close to the new guitar, but the remaining details are in uncharted territory for me, and may take longer than i would like. while the new beast is more cobra than strat, it is a different enough guitarthat you may want to have both. last week i used the new guitar for 2 sets, and the cobra special for the other. they were different but both very fun. we are probably looking late summer for the final beast.

Dave K
04-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Sounds like you need an objective opinion on some prototypes.;)
There are more than a dozen various TA models between a few of us here in the Seattle area if you ever need some help.:)

tom
04-10-2004, 12:37 AM
i'm being very selfish with this one. this is the guitar i always wanted. i'm playing out as much now as i ever have in my life, so i'm getting lots of chances to see what it does with the band. not that i wouldn't value input, but unless you come to church you probably won't see this one till we start showing pictures.

Dave K
04-10-2004, 12:46 AM
I can appreciate that,Tom.I wouldn't mind seeing something with a set-neck and carved top.;)

pappy
04-10-2004, 07:10 AM
So, where's the church??? My soul needs a healin'...

8-)

mbrown3
04-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave K
I can appreciate that,Tom.I wouldn't mind seeing something with a set-neck and carved top.;)

Oh, hallelujah, I'm right there with you!

tom
04-10-2004, 10:56 AM
it would be a long trip pappy. we're in sunny ventura california.

chris
04-10-2004, 11:14 AM

I third that! We need that guitar!

tom
04-10-2004, 03:53 PM
coming from a repair background, it's not likely that i would make a guitar that you couldn't take the neck off of. it just makes repairs and maintanence so much easier. the trick would be to come up with an attachment method that would feel and look as though it was glued on and would have comfy access to the higher register. as for a carve top, it seems that everyone is doing that and we would just be another me too. then there's all that maple messing with the tone. we'll just have to see what we come up with. remember i'm a very simple person with more of a desire towards tone and feel than looks. i hope that doesn't sound like blasphemy to you all.

mwoeppel
04-10-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm with Brian -

Tone and more tone!

mw

John Price
04-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I would like to have a solid maple neck on a Cobra with H2+/M2/M3 setup! ?

:cool:

Dave K
04-11-2004, 03:12 PM
If Tom can figure out a way to build a bolt-on neck guitar that really captures great Les Paul tone,and is super comfortable like a DT,I'll be the first in line to buy two.;)

While I think the Cobra is great in it's own right,it doesn't quite have the fat,low mid focus of a real LP.I spent months looking for a great LP,and let me tell you,some of the things I saw were horrifying! I'm talking the Hi$$toric line,too.Zero QC in effect.Scary!:eek:

oscar100
04-11-2004, 03:30 PM
still love my cobra rosewood neck m series but it doesnt do teh les paul thing its true - found a lovely LP standard florentine no f holes : arriving tues - should be interesting....

:rolleyes:

wodka
04-12-2004, 08:06 AM
From a neck attachment standpoint, the most comfortable one I've played (so far) is a Washburn NX6 with a Spanish luthiers neck joint. Of course, it isn't as if you can swap the neck, since I haven't found any replacement makers.

mbrown3
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I'm with some of you guys too. Tone is tops, but I like that LP style lower end (though I prefer P-90s or good splitters for more of that "snap" - good combination!). Frankly, I don't care about the glued-in neck, because I agree with you, Tom, that the bolt-ons just sound better and are easier to maintain. But the carved top (does't have to be maple, and I think still could be thinner than some other makers) and body style (more like a PRS or Baker style double cut) are what I'm really looking for. Ideally, I'd love to see that style of guitar with the carved top, but with Anderson quality and the stainless frets. Oh man, I think I need to change my knickers...

andersonguy
04-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Everybody's screaming for a Les Paulish guitar. I doubt if it will look too much like one, especially after the Gibson/PRS law suit.
I believe Tom has a preference for humbuckers and perhaps a thicker sound so I think were on the right track. My question is: Will it be exclusively a HB type of guitar or will it be versital enough to handle perhaps the M series or even VA's?
I personally dont care for the LP's so I hope it isnt too close.

AG

dannopelli
04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
If Tom can figure out a way to build a bolt-on neck guitar that really captures great Les Paul tone,and is super comfortable like a DT,I'll be the first in line to buy two.;)

While I think the Cobra is great in it's own right,it doesn't quite have the fat,low mid focus of a real LP.I spent months looking for a great LP,and let me tell you,some of the things I saw were horrifying! I'm talking the Hi$$toric line,too.Zero QC in effect.Scary!:eek:

I have a very nice LP I am getting ready to sell if you are interested. Upgraded to 57 classics. Send me a PM if you'd like and we can discuss.

Dave K
04-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the offer dannopelli,but I found a used Historic '57 GT. All the time I've spent fixing the mistakes on it,I probably could have built one from scratch faster.:mad:

It was a killer deal,but from what I've experienced it will most likely be the last Gibson I ever buy.

BrownDog
05-09-2004, 03:10 PM
...a Crowdster with magnetic PUPs plus a piezo?

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.