PDA

View Full Version : For Tom, Roy...

Casper
04-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi Guys,
I have fallen out of love with the neck on my 02 Hollow Droptop. I considered selling the guitar, but by the time I do that and with the two nicks to the body, I will have to reinvest alot more money to get a new one and possibly wait. The guitar itself is great.
It is a TA standard .30 (11/16) over carve in maple. It is a great neck for blues and rhythm guitar and feels good, but it just isn't fitting me..
I played a classic in Richmond music with a maple .050 over with a 1 5/8 nut that I love...smaller neck faster playing for me..i may be considering, if not then just a ta standard..

What is involved in getting a new neck?
Do I have to send the guitar out to CA? Or can you send it to me?
Do you take trade ins or credit if you just put a different neck on?
How much approx for the switch, how much time involved?
Thanks --Shaun

tom
04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
here's the standard reply to neck replacement questions.
the +.05 1 5/8 neck you're looking at is narrower than the one you have, but it is also a bit deeper.
Here is the procedure for replacing the neck on your Anderson guitar. Necks are exchanged, so you don't get the old one back. The cost is $500, solid rosewood necks are an additional $280, and that gets you the neck of your choice, finished and installed on your guitar, playing like a brand new Anderson guitar. This is how it goes. You send us the order for the neck along with a check for $500. We make the neck, it takes about 5 weeks. We notify you that we are ready for your guitar. When it arrives we do the final fitting of the new neck to the body. When that is done we finish, install and setup the new neck. After the guitar has sat for one week under string tension, we recheck the setup and send it to you. You are responsible for the return freight. We will have the guitar for about three weeks. If you have any other questions please let me know. tom

Casper
04-07-2004, 10:02 AM
thanks Tom,
I will mull the info over and let you know...
Shaun

njjessee
04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Shaun, if you frequent Richmond Music, we've must have run into each other there at some point. I don't recall meeting you.

Say you like that Classic they have hanging up? I must say I really favor the neck on my Classic, but I like the 1 11/16 spacing with that standard back shape the best. I can play either fine, but my fingers seem to get hung up in the lower strings when I do bends on the narrower neck.

Noah

Casper
04-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Hey Noah,
I thought me and Danno were the only andy freaks from Richmond on this board....! Nice to "meet" you. I am one of Kips original customers and am partially responsible for him taking on the Anderson line.
I play every piece that comes in and I must say, I haven't been as impressed with a neck like that classic in a long time. I love the TA standard 11/16 as well, I've had that neck on a few guitars.
I have a 11/16 spacing on my 62 roundback neck on my classic.
I am however finding the .30 over neck a bit too chunky for some of the music I play. I think Danno and me are going to work together to possibly sell my HDT in the coming weeks.
I'm sure we'll see each other around the store soon, Dave has been my tech for 4 years now...
L8R
Shaun

njjessee
04-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm glad you did talk Kip into the Anderson line, I bought my first in 2000, had a classic built for me in 2002 and picked up a NAMM show butterscotch Hollow T Classic in 2003.

Dave has done a lot of work for me as well. I have been doing a lot of stuff myself these days, as far as basic set up work.

So I'm curious... what's your typical pedal board/amp set up for your band?

Noah

dannopelli
04-12-2004, 10:08 PM
HEY NOAH! Danno here. Didn't I meet you recently at RM? I just got the Fireburst HDT that was at RM. I am there all the time.

BTW Shaun, send me an email. I have an idea for your Blue HDT neck replacement thingy that you are thinking of doing. I believe you will like my thoughts.

Noah, my pedal board is as follows:

Furman SPB 8 Board
Input from guitar
-Boss TU 2
-Barber Tone Press Compressor
-Fulltone Distortion Pro
-Boss PW 10 Wah
- to front amp

Input from FX loop
-Boss CE3 Chorus (sson to be replaced by Fulltone Choral Flange)
-Boss DD5 Delay with external tap tempo

The board also has my amp controller on it.

I made two snakes, (one is a backup) using George L cables and shrink wrap tubing so I can set up four guitars and my amp in ten minutes.

Casper
04-13-2004, 05:38 AM
Noah,
Did you just get that hollow Butterscotch T that was hanging beside the classic and the Bora HDT?! If so, that is a SMOKING axe!
My rig is not impressive, but is quick and painless.
I run a Digitech RP14d into a hot-rodded Peavey Classic 30 which has a HK Red Box Pro that feeds our FOH mix. I use a Shure ULX wireless.
My good friend just got the Boss GT6 and loves it. I may look in that direction sometime after I get through some things..
Im sure we'll run into one another soon..
L8R

njjessee
04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey Danno! We may have run into to each other, but sorry, I don't recall meeting you. It's just when I'm in a music store, I'm not paying a lot of attention to folks, too many other things to look at! Ha! Ha!

Shaun.... I picked up my HBSTC (don't you love these abbreviations? I always wondered what my daughter was saying while she was IM-ing friends! Oh well, back to the story...) last year. I saw the one you're talking about, but never played it... too afraid!

I'm afraid I have a sickness.... I really like effects! My latest purchases were a Robert Keeley TS808 along with his ProCo Rat. I had been using a TS9 I modded myself and a Distortion Pro. The Rat is awesome! Great for a lot of the music we do.

Noah

dannopelli
04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Noah,

Who do you play with?

njjessee
04-14-2004, 04:24 AM
Danno, I play in my church's band.

dannopelli
04-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Cool. I would love go to check out a church where the guitarist uses a DP!

Unfortunately we are Catholic, so we have to do the "somber church" thing.

njjessee
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Danno - yeah... the DP is one of my favorites. I also like the Boss SD-2. It has two channels, crunch and lead. It sounds good, but I think it can be better. I'm thinking Analogman will come out with mod for it sometime that will improve it.

All of the overdrives and distortions I own have sounds that I'm looking for, the Boss SD-2, Fulldrive, DP, TS9, TS808 and Rat.

The TS808 and Rat are on my board right now. I use the TS808 for low to mid gain crunch and the Rat for high gain stuff. The Rat is real flexible. It's been modded by Robert Keeley, so it has a switch for three settings. One is the traditional Rat, second is that sound will a little more volume and more saturation, the third is big time volume but not as much gain.

I run a Dynacomp after the overdrive/distortion set for a volume boost on leads.

Noah

dannopelli
04-14-2004, 10:46 PM
if you like the Dynacomp I have one better you may be interested in. It is a Barber Tone Press.

Actualy I have two. I just got an extra one on Ebay. I was going to make a pedal board for acoustic and one for electric, but changed my mind.

Any way, I paid $120 for it. It is in excellent condition and I would sell it to you for the same. You can try it for a few days if you like.

I used to have a Dyna Comp. Switched to the Boss, CS3. Now I use the Barber. It is by far the best. Better than the Keely IMHO. It really does the trick without having that "Squashy" compressor sound.

Let me know if you are interested.

BTW, I am thinking about adding a FD2. Is there a difference beween the Blue and the Red or Creme models?

njjessee
04-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Danno - the Barber Tone Press sounds interesting. I may very well take you up on your offer. What power source does it use?

I was either going to have the Dynacomp modded by Analogman or purchase a Keeley. Can you expand on why it sounds better than the Keeley?

As far as the FD2 goes, there's no difference in the models other than the color. The newer versions, beginning in 2003, have a three position mini-switch. Vintage (mid-heavy), flat mids, and comp cut.

I found myself switching between vintage and flat mids depending upon the song, so that feature is useful. I never really used the comp cut mode. It adds clean boost.

The older models did not have the mini-switch, so vintage and flat mids were not an option. The comp cut feature was located on the volume knob as a pull switch.

I must say this pedal is very transparent. It will basically take your amp tone and make it sound overdriven. The boost mode will take that sound and add sustain. Not so much a volume boost, some, but mainly more sustain. If you are at extreme opposite settings for the gain vs. boost, you will hear a significant difference in volume.

It's a very good effect. If I could only have one and had to choose between the FD2 and a TS9/808, I'd probably go with the FD2. The TS9/808 has similar gain, but colors the tone somewhat. But that's okay with me, I like that tone. There are songs where I want to have that tone available and others where the FD2 works better.

Hope that helps.

Noah

dannopelli
04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info on the FD2! I may add it.

The Tone Press uses either 9V battery or 9V DC with center negative, like all the Boss and Fulltone and most others, so it is easily added to a pedalboard. It is about as wide as a FD2 and about 2/3 as long, but not as tall, (think a short MXR Phase 100).

First it is true bypass. Second it has no tone control becasue it does not color tone in any way. And finally it is true bypass.

Controls are volume, blend and sustain.

Volume is output, as you would expect. So you can use it as a volume boost.

Blend mixes the unaffected signal with the effected signal. This is the most vital tool, and it is not offered on any pedal I can think of. It is what makes this particular pedal sound like it is not on. You can "blend" the signal, to maintain all your dynamics and pick attack, while still controlling output and sustain. Or you can dial out all the uneffected signal and have the old squashy compressor sound.

Sustain works like sustain on most other pedals, and creates the amount of compression.

I set mine to 1:00 volume, 11:30 blend, 2:00 sustain. I believe these settings create compression but you don't notice it. It lifts your softly played notes, but they maintain the soft feel. And it will compress power chords but they still have umph.

And it really does a nice job with acoustic guitars. It is qhisper quiet.

Built like a tank like the MXR pedals.

Like I said I have two. I just got the second. It is a 2002 model. Only difference is the manufacturers name is on the front rather than the top. You are welcome to take it home and play with it. If you like buy it. If not give it back and I'll put it back on Ebay.

Its worth a try anyway. You have nothing to lose, and maybe you'll save $125 over the Keely.

Check out joe1962's response to this message. He turned me on to the idea:

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=546

njjessee
04-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey Danno!

Sorry it took awhile to reply, I've been out of town. Okay, you talked me into trying the Tone Press. Hook up at Richmond Music one day?

Noah

dannopelli
04-18-2004, 07:06 PM
How about Tuesday?

tom
04-18-2004, 07:42 PM
dave barber sent me some of his pedals to try. i used the tone press and burn unit this weekend, and i can say that i need to totally rearange my pedal board to make some room. the tp was exactly what i was looking for. the blend control is the missing link for me, i used it for all my clean sounds. i have to play at very low volume, and it gave me that dynamic feel of the guitar reacting to the volume of a loud amp. the burn unit was equally impressive. it has wonderful clarity even with the gain way up. it seemed just as at home doing edgy gain as it did creamy smooth stuff. i may need to have two of them set up differently to cover all bases. sorry for gushing, but it was a great weekend. even the keyboard played noticed the better tone!

njjessee
04-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Danno - Tuesday sounds fine. What time did you have in mind? I could probably make it after 4:30. Pick my daughter up from Monacan HS at 4:00 that day.

Tom - if a keyboard player notices... that's high praise! This is getting good!

dannopelli
04-18-2004, 09:17 PM
4:30 is tight but I think its doable. I have a gig at Bogarts that night, but if I am out of there by 4:45 it will work. Send me a PM and we can exchange numbers.