PDA

View Full Version : Tom, Roy or Bruce--switch to Ferraglides

57paf
08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Tom, Roy or Bruce:
My Classic is 05-02-03P. If I'm not mistaken, it has a Fishman bridge with the modern style stainless steel block saddles. I understand that you now use Ferraglides. Besides the benefit of less string breakage, do you hear any tonal difference between the two?
Did you also evaluate the GraphTech Tusq saddles?
When you first created your Classic, did you pick the block style of saddles over the vintage stamped steel type of saddles because the stamped steel was too "airy," particularly when paired with a vintage style trem?
My bridge appears to have the import Strat 2 1/16" spacing. If I want to upgrade my Classic to current TAG specs, I guess that I should order the GraphTech PG 8000-00 (stainless, import spacing)?
Robin

John Price
08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I guess that I should order the GraphTech PG 8000-00 (stainless, import spacing)?
Robin

That is correct!

tom
08-24-2008, 12:58 PM
the fishman saddles are block shaped, but most of the mass is removed from the bottom so they are quite different from most block saddles. they have a sizzlier top end than the ferraglides, and for me i prefer the fuller tone of the ferraglides. i didn't care for the tone of the solid tusq or graphtech saddles, they have a pingier midrange to my ears.
bent saddles have a few characteristics that i don't like. the strings can either slide around on the top or get sawed if a groove develops. i also don't like having to have the screws be exactly one length so they don't stick up and cut your hand, eliminating any adjustability later.

57paf
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Tom, John:
Thanks. I'll order my Ferraglides from my Anderson dealer.
Roy also confirmed the same things in an older e-mail that I sent him.

tom
08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
you can just order them from any graphtech dealer. we buy them in bulk to assemble for our bridges.