PDA

View Full Version : Carr Rambler Comparison

Stan Malinowski
04-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I know there are a few fellow lovers of the Carr Rambler on this forum so let me throw out this question. There have been a few reviews/threads that compare the Carr Rambler to a Princeton Reverb. Any basis to this? I have an oppurtunity to pick up a Princeton Reverb but my gut tells me I already have that base covered more than adequately by my Rambler. Any Rambler owners have an opinion?

tom
04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
i don't see them at all the same. the rambler has way more headroom, and is creamier to me. richer low end too. louder too. more eq range.

Stan Malinowski
04-06-2004, 04:15 PM
When I owned a SF Princeton (no reverb) I thought the improvements I would like to make were 1) 12" speaker, 2) a midrange control, 3) additional headroom and 4) built-in-reverb. I get all 4 of these on my Rambler so I think I should be a happy camper. The PR I'm looking at is on the pricey side (but mint) but I feel that I may be wasting my money to buy another amp which is the same "general" tonal arena as my rambler.

Tom, given the list of improvements I've noted above do you think I am pretty close with my Rambler.

(Side note: Please try to talk me out of this fit of GAS!)

tom
04-06-2004, 05:13 PM
for me, the rambler is light years ahead. princeton owners, don't be mad at me. the guy i used to play with had two princeton reverbs with altec 12's, and it's hard to imagine a better sound.

Gary F.
04-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Stan-

Many have argued that a BF Deluxe Reverb is the ultimate desert island amp. I'd suggest it's the Rambler. Although many of the vintage amps are deservedly placed upon a pedestal, I think we're in the golden age of amps right now...

tom
04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
i'd have to agree with gary. i've got some cool vintage amps, but i don't use any of them.

Stan Malinowski
04-07-2004, 06:59 AM
I guess it really (as always) comes down to a decision (opinion) on how much of a tonal difference exists between two amps (or two guitars). Logically my mind tells me that the Rambler does the Princeton/Deluxe thing better than an actual Princeton/Deluxe. GAS tells me that I need a PR to fill in another niche in my tonal arsenal.

I appreciate Tom's comment about having many vintage amps which he doesn't use. So for now I have to fight the GAS pains and try to forget about a PR (well at least for this hour :D ).

Thanks for the input guys! Anybody know a shrink who can treat severe GAS?

joe1962
04-07-2004, 03:33 PM
> Thanks for the input guys! Anybody know a shrink who can treat severe GAS?

No, but when you find one I want his number :D

I have to agree about the vintage amps. I've got a old Super Reverb that I love and will never part with but I haven't taken it out of the house since I got my Dr Z.