PDA

View Full Version : Installing "used" through-body strings

ConnemaraGuitar
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm sure none of you have had to deal with trying to thread a previously installed string through the tiny orifice on a through-body guitar. Namely, the end is all curvy from being wrapped around the tuner post and just won't "go straight."

However, when I'm building a new guitar, I usually wind up setting it up completely and, after a few days a dinking around with it to find out what needs to be fixed (including finish blems), I totally disassemble it to get things right. Including removing the strings.

Then I have a set of Elixir strings costing $12 that are brand new, but a little "kinky" on the ends. Spending a full hour trying to thread the twisted bits back through the body was making me crazier than I already am. This week I came up with a solution...

I took a piece of wire (with insulation) and stripped off about two inches of the insulation. I then threaded the end of a guitar string into the opening of the insulation about 1/8 inch, and passed the other end of the insulation through the guitar back's ferrule and the bridge, and pulled the whole thing through. Took no longer to reinstall the strings than if they were new.

Maybe this will be a useful tip...

bruce
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I keep bargin string sets on hand for things like this.