PDA

View Full Version : Custom 5-way switch wiring

Stevenems
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm getting ready to order a new Atom with m1, m1, and ho1+ pickups. I'm thinking about how I want the 5-way switch wired.

Here's what I think I'd like to do:

1) Neck
2) Neck + middle
3) Neck + bridge
4) Middle + bridge
5) Bridge

At the same time, I'd like the push/pull on the tone knob to control the kickback in all positions.

Is it possible to order the wiring coming from the factory like this, or do I have to pick one of the two options described on the option sheet?

Thanks,
Steve

strat56
08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a Telecaster that I made some mods to and wired the 5 way like that. It's really great to have that middle position on the switch set up that way.

The Nashville B-Bender Tele also comes wired that way.

tom
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
you could have it that way. i would warn that on the shorter scale the neck+middle sound is pretty dark with 2 m1s.

spitalny
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a cobra special S with three M's: M1(N), M1(M) and M2 (B). Yes, I have noticed that the neck/middle is dark. Is there a way to brighten it up a bit?

tom
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
the kickback works better on the neck and middle combo, but i find the middle by itself more usable.

Stevenems
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Maybe I should back up a bit. I find myself using the neck + bridge sound a lot on my SSS strat, and I'd like to be able to use the kickback with that combination to get a similar sound on an Atom. I only play live at my church on Sunday mornings, so I don't want to have to fiddle with a lot of switches to get to my main sounds.

Can you recommend a straightforward switch arrangement that would give me these sounds without a lot of bother?

* Neck (full)
* Neck + Bridge (kickback)
* Mid + Bridge (kickback)
* Bridge (full)

What I'm trying to avoid is a scheme where to get from a Bridge humbucker sound to the kicked-back Neck + Bridge sound I have to move the 5-way selector to position 1 (neck), pull the tone knob to add the bridge, and then move a toggle switch to turn on kickback. I can't imagine doing that smoothly in the middle of a song. Best in my mind is if all that was involved was to move the 5-way to, say, position 2.

Thanks,
Steve

tom
08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
with a 5 way, you can pretty much have any combination in any of the positions with series and kickback. parallel complicates things greatly. pick any 5 and i'll let you know what we can do.

Stevenems
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Is this feasible?

1) Neck
2) Mid
3) Neck + Bridge
4) Mid + Bridge
5) Bridge

Pulling the P/P tone knob turns on kickback in positions 1-4. 5 is always series.

Thanks,
Steve

tom
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
that's the atom standard with a kickback bypass on pos 5. we could do that.