PDA

View Full Version : Just LOOK at what came in the mail...(pics)

hdhoo73
07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Okay I've been talking about it long enough! Here's what Tom and the boys sent me this week. She left as the best sounding plugged in acoustic guitar these ears have heard and came back the famed hybrid C+ Retro. It sounds great thru my AC-15 and Orange cabinet and I just can't believe how great it sounds clean, with OD thru a modded TS, and even heavy distortion with my vintage Rat Proco. Thanks guys for all the support getting thru this trying time...it was worth it!:cool:

BEFORE
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/hdhoo73/DSC00514.jpg

AFTER
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/hdhoo73/DSC07367-1.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/hdhoo73/DSC07366-1.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/hdhoo73/DSC07370-1.jpg

dannopelli
07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Very Nice!:d

mdrs
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Beautious.

noregretsguitar
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Beautiful retro job!! Enjoy it! The tonal possibilities are awesome.

Earthworm
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Nice, enjoy it!

theatomicjeff
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Very nice.

Please describe the before/after tone differences. Does the new pickup retain accoustic-like tones without introducing distortion and without the piezo-like tone?

hdhoo73
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Jeff. The acoustic tone is completely unchanged...it's still incredible. The difference is the mini humbucker that was added that is very unique. Admittedly it is a little awkward at first hearing these truly electric guitar tones coming from acoustic guitar strings! But you get used to it.

I have A/B'd it with my Gibson Les Paul with BB Pros. The C+'s tone is very unique and I'm not sure how you can characterize it or compare it. The tone is so fat b/c of the string gauge and the resonance is eternal. To me it is something of a cross between the bridge and neck pups on the Gibby but that's not quite right either. The sound is just huge. It's clear and bright but not as jangly as the standard bridge pup. It sounds very good thru a Tube Screamer as I mentioned before.

Anybody else help me out with an adequate description?:confused:

tom
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM
the big tight strings make it really different.

theatomicjeff
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks hdhoo73,
Would you describe the new pickup as having much less of a "piezo" sound?

That would be only reason I'd change my crowdster over to a pickup. I want it to remain as authentically accoustic-sounding as possible. I'm afraid if I had a pickup installed, it would be more electric guitar-sounding than accoustic.

hdhoo73
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Jeff I think I understand your question. It seems as though you are thinking that having the electric pickup added eliminates the piezo pickup. Is that right?

In fact if you had the electric pup added you would instead have the piezo and the electric together in stereo. Two seperate inputs in one guitar. Does that help?

theatomicjeff
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Jeff I think I understand your question. It seems as though you are thinking that having the electric pickup added eliminates the piezo pickup. Is that right?

In fact if you had the electric pup added you would instead have the piezo and the electric together in stereo. Two seperate inputs in one guitar. Does that help?
It helps a little. Interesting combo with the pickup and piezo! Actually, what I'm ultimately wanting to understand is, does this new pickup have a unique quality that allows the amplified sound to remain accoustic-sounding? I wouldn't want to make such a drastic change on my crowdster if it's going to make the sound change from an accoustic to that of an electric. I guess the best accoustic sound I'm thinking of would be to place a mic in front of an actual accoustic guitar. Could this new pickup emulate such a sound? You mention using OD's, Rats, etc., on your guitar now with the new pickup. That's something I wouldn't want to do. I ultimately want it to remain sounding like an accoustic guitar. I was hoping the new pickup would be an improvement over the standard piezo sound.

I wished Tom would make a crowdster with a sound hole, or F-holes.

hdhoo73
08-01-2008, 06:41 PM
First off if Tom makes a full bodied acoustic I'm probably in. Having said that the new pickup is purely electric...no acoustic sounds at all. It's intended to be used as you would a regular electric pickup. The beauty of it for me is not having to switch guitars during a worship service :eek: ! So if you're looking for a mic'd acoustic sound keep looking bro. For me the C+ is just about perfect (perfect would be if the second humbucker were available :rolleyes: ) Hope this helps!

theatomicjeff
08-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Thaaaaaats what I needed to know. Thank you, sir. ;) The mod looks great, though. Enjoy!

Pietro
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I'll go on record as saying that if you blend the two pickups together through an acoustic amp... forget it. Not what this is for.

That said, I have the absolute best acoustic tone I've ever had in my life from the Crowdster. Recently I've had a couple times when I've plugged it in direct to a board or amp instead of using my processing. It still sounds perfectly fantastic in that case.

When can I send mine in to get the second pickup mod, tom? I will live without the piezo/both/electric switch if need be... no problem! ;-)

hdhoo73
08-03-2008, 06:42 AM
I will live without the piezo/both/electric switch if need be... no problem! ;-)

Plus one. Additionally I could do w/o the mono/stereo switch. In my opinion I can't see not using the C+ in stereo mode! It's just phenominal. BTW...got to hear it hear it full volume thru our PA for the first time last night. It was everything I expected...good on ya Tom!

bacustic
08-03-2008, 08:05 AM
congratulations on the mods. i played a crowdster plus yesterday and it was incredible! especially through an orange rocketverb 50. btw, how is the delay pedal doing?

hdhoo73
08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey man the DL-4 is working out great. Only downside to me is size but for what you get it's hard to get it in a smaller package. The DD-20 is not much smaller and a DD-5 or 7 requires a pedal for tap tempo. I think it's a keeper! Thx...

Jim