PDA

View Full Version : Guitarless On Business Trips??

Stan Malinowski
04-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm just back from a 4 day business trip in Boston. Since I was driving I popped one of my Anderson Classics in a gig bag along with some lesson books and assorted "headphone" friendly gizmo boxes. I was able to get some serious practice time in after coming back from dinner before hitting the sack. It was a wonderful thing to spend some undisturbed quality time with one of Andys.

It got me wondering whether I would attempt to take along a guitar on the business trips where I had to fly....

So, I wondering how many of you take along a guitar when you travel on business? Are you more likely to take one along if the trip is driveable, or doesn't it matter?

wodka
04-04-2004, 03:38 PM
I travel full time for work and I've often thought about bringing along a guitar. A few years ago I used to take a Taylor baby with me, but an acoutic is a bit too loud. Even such a small bodies one. I don't think I would risk taking an Anderson unless you are flying 1st class and could take it onboard. I'd be too afraid of it getting wrecked. By the way, my current assignment is in Indianapolis at Eli Lilly, so any guitar shop recommendations would be appreciated. I've thought about buying one there and storing it at my office over the weekends. Then I'll just take it home when the project ends.

Donk70
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Here you go, Stan (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040404135833066209140016242762/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518700/)

Stan Malinowski
04-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Donk,

I had a Steinberger that I used as an office/travel guitar but sold it becuase it just didn't feel like a real guitar. I think the Traveler Guitar is just a rehash of the Steinberger. When you get spoiled playing a guitar the quality of an Anderson the "travel" type guitars just can't even run close.

I think that if I was to start taking frequent trips via air I might have a set of Vinique neck inserts installed in one of my Andersons. I'd take the neck off and put the body and neck in my suitcase and reassemble at the end destination. I'd be out a couple sets of strings on a round-trip basis but it would be better than carrying on a guitar or worse yet, checking the guitar as baggage.

scottiK
04-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by wodka
By the way, my current assignment is in Indianapolis at Eli Lilly, so any guitar shop recommendations would be appreciated. I've thought about buying one there and storing it at my office over the weekends. Then I'll just take it home when the project ends.

Hey wodka...welcome to Housier land!

I live in the Indy area...I would recommend a place called Guitars and More. They have a north and a south location. Great selection of PRS . Last time I was in they did say they had a used Andy in their south store. Also, the last time I was in Guitar Center they had a used Cobra as well. Another place you might check out is Six Strings Down on the west side.

If you are looking for a new Andy you're out of luck...NOBODY in Idniana carries them:confused: The closest is Makin Music in Chicago. I remember the first time I played my Anderson at a local church people were like" what kind of guitar is that?" Even some players that I thought would have a clue had never heard of Anderson Guitars!

Happy hunting....

scott

pappy
04-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I spent two months in Munich this year on business and brought mine along packed in it's hard case inside the box Tom shipped it in. It made it both ways just fine. Of course I added it as a named, all perils, item on my renters policy just in case.

Oh, and in today's travel world you can forget about bringing it in the cabin. I flew first/business all four legs of that trip that there's no way I could've brought it in the cabin. A four thousand dollar airplane ticket buys you a nice meal, free booze (big deal, I don't really drink), and a big seat. That's it.

Pappy

mwoeppel
04-04-2004, 08:21 PM
I travel extensively and use the time on the road to get some practice time in.

I still don't have the courage to take my Andy with me, so I have an inexpensive strat - well, less than $800 - that if it got lost or broken, would be easily replaced. I check it as baggage using a Gator ATA case.

Plug it in with your Guitar Port and a pair of Bose Headphones, and you are rockin'!

That's my road setup!

Mark