PDA

View Full Version : Classic without the booster switch?

GASMAN
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Does NOT having the booster switch on a Classic with VA PUPs make any difference in tone/output?

Other than the obvious (no boost available), does not having that option in the curcuit effect the over-all tone?

Sorry it this is a silly question. I've just always wondered why they are available without the boost option. Thanks.

tom
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
without boost is the same as with boost off. some don't need it and it does cost more, so we make them both ways.

GASMAN
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks Tom.

John Price
07-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Be honest with you I never use it! For some reason it messes with my head when I'm trying to get into that single coil vibe!....... I know it's weird!!! but for me to play the part I have to get into the character!.........:D

dannopelli
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I have a two Classics, one with VA2,VA2r,VA3 no boost. One with VA5, VA5r, VA5+ with the boost. I do not miss it on the one and really keep it in boost mode almost all the time on the other.

GASMAN
07-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Me too. My Hollow T is always in the boost mode.

Not to hijack my own thread, but Danno--------how do the older VA PUPs compare the newer VA5's? (In the non-boost setting, of course. Ha!)

dannopelli
07-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Me too. My Hollow T is always in the boost mode.

Not to hijack my own thread, but Danno--------how do the older VA PUPs compare the newer VA5's? (In the non-boost setting, of course. Ha!)

Check out post 10 in the thread linked below. I do a side by side. Remember these are two differently spec'd guitars.

Hope this helps:

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=5338

spitalny
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I have a TA classic with VA12, VA12 and VA23 with the older VA boost (the one that predates the VA5 booster). This VA booster switches-in more windings to achieve the boost.

My experience is that the "stratiness" of the single coils gets dimished with the booster on. So, I rarely use it unless I am caught suddenly with not quite enough volume and for some reason can't quickly get back to my amp to turn it up (maybe a crowded and cramped stage). So, in those cases I'll switch-on the boost. But, it does result in less cluck and quack.

tom
07-29-2008, 07:18 PM
the va5 booster does retain more of the original character.

olectric
07-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have a Classic with SF pickups and the VA5 booster? How are you diggin it?

I just ordered one. If I could just keep myself occupied for another few months...:D

bud
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have a Classic with SF pickups and the VA5 booster? How are you diggin it?

I just ordered one. If I could just keep myself occupied for another few months...:D

I'm envious, can't wait to see if someone chimes in. I'm on the hunt for the same thing.