PDA

View Full Version : Cobra with pickguard

dankayaker
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Just wondering if there are any around. The volume knob position would be problematic on the Cobra's I've seen so I'd need to move it. I'd love a Cobra if this is a possibility.

dannopelli
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
As far as I know the Cobra wiring and routing makes a pickguard impossible.

tom
07-14-2008, 12:52 AM
we don' offer pg's on them, but we could move the knob on a new order within the constraints of the cavity.

replayboy
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Iv'e had the volume knob on a Hollow T drop top moved away from the bridge as i found myself turning it up and down as i play, thats one good reason i dont play a strat !
I also have another hollow drop top T on order with the same request:)

dankayaker
07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply . .I'm thinking about it . . .what's the wait time & fretboard radius ?

Thanks everyone else for your input . . . .the Cobra is a new guitar to me . . . .anyone care to describe the tone . . . .I'm looking at these for more of a lower gain humbucking type tone (LP). I'm assuming with the shorter scale, these play nice and loose ?

tom
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
new orders now are for november delivery. radius is a conical 12-14".

Barry
07-15-2008, 04:10 AM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply . .I'm thinking about it . . .what's the wait time & fretboard radius ?

Thanks everyone else for your input . . . .the Cobra is a new guitar to me . . . .anyone care to describe the tone . . . .I'm looking at these for more of a lower gain humbucking type tone (LP). I'm assuming with the shorter scale, these play nice and loose ?
Its an awesome guitar . I put it the league with my Les paul . Having said that it has its own voice . As far as lower gain I think that comes down to the PUP selected . I did have an H3 but it was too much and went to an H2+

dankayaker
07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm wondering if the Atom CT would be more what I'm looking for since I want a guitar to do what my R8 does (as close as possible).

It also looks like the volume knob on the Atom CT is farther away from the bridge/bridge pickup so it might not cramp my right hand so much.

Barry
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Im not sure what your R8 does but the Cobra can be very ballsy . Do you own a TAG ? They are so precise and articulate . I substitute my LP for my Cobra on gigs quite often . As I said, it has its own voice but it is seriously ballsy IMHO . Talk to Roy at Anderson he can help you find the right TAG for your liking . He is the keeper of the TAG archives and was very helpful when we were speccing my Cobra (07-17-06N) . The cobra is an amazing instrument . Unleash the fury !!

dannopelli
07-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Im not sure what your R8 does but the Cobra can be very ballsy . Do you own a TAG ? They are so precise and articulate . I substitute my Cobra for a LP on gigs quite often . As I said, it has its own voice but it is seriously ballsy IMHO . Talk to Roy at Anderson he can help you find the right TAG for your liking . He is the keeper of the TAG archives and was very helpful when we were speccing my Cobra (07-17-06N) . The cobra is an amazing instrument . Unleash the fury !!

Roy is the BEST at helping you design your guitar.

ConnemaraGuitar
07-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Please pardon my ignorance, folks, but why is dankayaker asking for a pickguard on a Cobra? If it's because he (or she) is particulary vigorous with a pick and wants to avoid marring the surface of the guitar, then some sort of clear pickguard would be an option. Who knows what it would do the value of the instrument, but at least the guitar's face would be protected.

From my perspective, a pickguard is 1) a piece of plastic that covers a major portion of the front of the guitar, thus hiding the grain of the wood, 2) a piece of plastic to which pickups can be attached, 3) a piece of plastic that covers the guitar's cavities and allows anyone to toy around with the wiring of pickups while making the manufacturing process way easier and cheaper, or 4) a piece of plastic that, in the service of 1, 2, and 3, also keeps the guitar's wood face from being scratched by unruly picks.

In terms of the control positions, isn't that an entirely different question?

dankayaker
07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Please pardon my ignorance, folks, but why is dankayaker asking for a pickguard on a Cobra? If it's because he (or she) is particulary vigorous with a pick and wants to avoid marring the surface of the guitar, then some sort of clear pickguard would be an option. Who knows what it would do the value of the instrument, but at least the guitar's face would be protected.

From my perspective, a pickguard is 1) a piece of plastic that covers a major portion of the front of the guitar, thus hiding the grain of the wood, 2) a piece of plastic to which pickups can be attached, 3) a piece of plastic that covers the guitar's cavities and allows anyone to toy around with the wiring of pickups while making the manufacturing process way easier and cheaper, or 4) a piece of plastic that, in the service of 1, 2, and 3, also keeps the guitar's wood face from being scratched by unruly picks.

In terms of the control positions, isn't that an entirely different question?

The pickguard would make it possible for me to relocate the volume knob without an additional hole being made in the wood . . . .I should have been more clear.

ConnemaraGuitar
07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Gotcha. I can be really dense sometimes. This was one of those times.