PDA

View Full Version : Why a 24 3/4 inch neck?

GASMAN
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Kind of a silly question, considering I own two Cobras. But, what is the reason for the shorter scale? Feel? Tone?

Why arn't they all 25 1/2?

dannopelli
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Kind of a silly question, considering I own two Cobras. But, what is the reason for the shorter scale? Feel? Tone?

Why arn't they all 25 1/2?

The longer scale guitars typically have a snappier sound. I met Johnny A once and he stated that he spec'd his guitar 25.5 just to have the faster attack. Gibson wanted to do 24.75 but he insisted on the longer scale.

Shorter scale are often easier to play. The shorter scale requires less string tension to create the same note as the longer scale. All things equal, fretboard radius, neck carve, fret height, etc, the shorter will be a bit easier to fret and bend strings. The shorter scale guitars also tends to sound a bit darker.

Why are they not all 25.5? I think you need to ask the Oracle of Delphi that one.

tom
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
dan did a good job of explaining the differences. builders use all kinds of scale lengths. some because it's tradition. some because they want to be different. some because that's the tooling they had. and some because they're after a particular thing. guitars are the sum of all their ingredients and all play a role.