PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Swap - Is It Worth It

X - Road 28
07-04-2008, 01:40 PM
and would I be able to order them from TAG.

I am likely going to get into a HTDTC that comes with a fixed bridge and non-locking tuners. Although locking tuners would be overkill, I enjoy the ease of restringing.

Can someone tell me if the split shafts tuners can be replaced with Gotoh locking straight out without modifications. For that matter, what are your opinions on both of them. Am I just silly to be stuck on wanting locking? :confused:

X

tom
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
if they are the same brand, they will interchange easily. the grovers we used to use say grover on them. the gotoh's may or may not have the name but they have the same screw pattern with or without the name. gotoh's and grovers do not interchange.

X - Road 28
07-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the reply, this is actually for a new guitar - Born Date 06-18-08A.

Like I said I prefer locking tuners and I believe this one has split shafts on it, would it be possible in this case and in your opinion would you recommend the swap to Gotoh's.

Also, would I be able to order them from TAG or do I go thru a dealer?

Thanks again

X

dannopelli
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
and would I be able to order them from TAG.

I am likely going to get into a HTDTC that comes with a fixed bridge and non-locking tuners. Although locking tuners would be overkill, I enjoy the ease of restringing.

Can someone tell me if the split shafts tuners can be replaced with Gotoh locking straight out without modifications. For that matter, what are your opinions on both of them. Am I just silly to be stuck on wanting locking? :confused:

X

Actually, for a fixed bridge guitar, I kind of find the split shaft to be EASIER and quicker to string. While you can get the new ones on just a smidge quicker, the old ones come OFF in a second with split shaft. I know I can change the strings on my HTC quicker than on my other three, (soon to be four!) Andersons.

If I remember correctly however, and I am sure Tom will correct me if I am wrong, the locking ones have staggered heights, eliminating the need for a string tree.

tom
07-05-2008, 10:24 AM
they are all staggered, but we still use a string tree. nut to high e post is a long way to go even at the right height.
guitars can be ordered with locking tuners if you prefer them.
i will pm you x-road to set up a swap if you like.

X - Road 28
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
they are all staggered, but we still use a string tree. nut to high e post is a long way to go even at the right height.
guitars can be ordered with locking tuners if you prefer them.
i will pm you x-road to set up a swap if you like.

Wow, that right there is proof that the name on the headstock means something. When the owner of the company engages with that kind of attitude it tells me that I can't go wrong whichever I choose.

Tom,

Thank you for the PM, and thanks for making me feel that I can count on your company for superb customer service. When I finalize the deal I may take you up on the offer, only if you let me spring for the shipping.

X