PDA

View Full Version : Anderson on eBay - I may want to buy... any advice?

MikeHil
04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
At risk of losing this to another member here - though I wouldn't mind since you've all been so helpful when I had questions:

There's a Hollow Koa/Basswood DropTop on eBay Im debating on picking up. I've never owned a hollow guitar before. can anybody comment on the pros and cons of the Hollow body?

5-13-99p

Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Shaded Cherry Edging with Binding
Body Wood - Koa Top on Basswood
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Madagascar Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape -
Hardware - Gold
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickguard -
Pickups - SA1R SA1 H2+
Switching - Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

Per seller: "Tom Anderson Guitarworks has informed me that they NO LONGER WILL OFFER KOA WOOD IN THEIR GUITARS"

Is this true? Also, what does the letter "P" or "A" at the end of the serial # signify?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

dpeterson
04-02-2004, 09:54 AM
yes i think i read they wont offer it anymore, probably because of supply problems. I'm sure if you supplied it and the cash was right he'd do it.

p = pm
a = am
n = noon

when the guitar was finished.. so they can crank out 3 a day ;)

Dave

Scott Peterson
04-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a guitar with virtually the exact same specs; it is indeed my favorite guitar by far (over PRS, USA Hamer and others).

It is feather light; but has a great tone. Works well in most any context; rock/funk/country. Extremely versatile guitar.

Dave K
04-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Mike,

I have a walnut/bass HDT among my four DTs,so if
there's anything you wanna know in comparison,
ask away.

The major tone difference I find is that the mid focus is reduced,with more top and bottom coming thru.It's also an expanded bandwidth and dynamic response.The guitar is very acoustically alive with the tone chambers.Don't think it can't handle volume and gain either,cuz uncontrolled feedback is not a problem.I love detuned chunk tones with mine.:D

The weight relief and balance is nice.Wearing it for extended sessions doesn't drag on you,unlike some of the logs out there.

-Dave

MikeHil
04-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. That definitely answers my questions.

It seems the other members on this site really favor their Hollow Andys.

Can anybody provide some cons? Of course, in terms of the hollow body... not the Andy :)

Dave K
04-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Mike,

Any chance you can find someone in your local area so you can try one out?
I can tell you the hollow chambers do IMO really change the tone compared to the exact same guitar built with a solid body.The reaction is a love/hate thing for the guys that have played my HDT.
I'd say if you're not sure about it,buy the guitar if you can turn it around without taking a big loss if it's not for you.I know that the adjustment period took awhile for me to learn how to tweak my amps to get the best tone out of my HDT.If you're patient and looking for something new,you might be rewarded with inspiring tone.

-Dave

dannopelli
04-03-2004, 10:41 PM
I think it just smooths out the rough edges. Makes for a very creamy sound. Do not know much about the Koas, but I do prefer the hollows. I think you just get a more well balanced instrument.

Stan Malinowski
04-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Oops, I posted a response to another thread here, sorry 'bout dat"!

Stan Malinowski
04-04-2004, 08:53 AM
I agree with Dano that it does smooth out the rough edges. One of my HDTCs is a maple top on swamp ash with VA pickups. I would expect the tone from this combo to be a it "shrilly" but it is really warm. I can't really thing of any cons with the HDTs, the tone is different from its solid counterpart but it don't consider that to be a bad thing.

Roy (maybe)
04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Anderson Forum Top Secret Info:

The coolest Koa Hollow Drop Top ever is now at Indoor Storm in Raleigh, North Carolina. It has a Koa top (which are hard to come by and do sound great) but it is also the only one ever equipped with a solid Rosewood neck to boot. It should have been a Guitar of the Week--and then some--but escaped before the guys at Anderson could shoot it.

Mr. Maybe

Dave K
04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
So, will there be any koa tops on TA guitars in the near future? Or is the supply to the point that you can no longer find wood that meets your requirements? I'd love a koa topped Cobra S! ;)

tom
04-05-2004, 10:37 PM
haven't seen any good koa for months, don't expect to see any in the near future:(

MikeHil
04-10-2004, 11:52 AM
I called Express Music in Seminole, FL to see if they happened to have any in stock. No luck there.

I bid on the Koa top on eBay but lost it. Did anybody here get it? I have a price point where I'd just assume purchase one brand new.

Can anybody recommend a way to get my hands around a hollow Andy? I live in Tampa, FL - the dealers closest to me besides Express are in Ft. Lauderdale & Atlanta... both a little far for me.

I know me... if I can't try one, I'll just wind up buying one anyway. However, I'd prefer to be educated prior to the purchase.

Any suggestions are appreciacted - and thanks for the advice submitted so far.

Dave K
04-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Mike,

The best thing to do is post on a few forums for what you're looking for,as well as searching

http://www.gbase.com on a regular basis.

Buy and Sell here:
http://63.151.115.106/board/index.php

In short,put the word out and let everyone know!
Plenty of us are always scouting around for our next TA,so we'll keep our eyes open.
;)

Roy (maybe)
04-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey Mr. Mike Hill,

Who’s your buddy? Who’s your friend?

Well, at the risk of sounding redundant, the coolest Koa Hollow Drop—perhaps of all time—is at Indoor Storm right now! It also has a solid Rosewood neck. Plays and sounds wonderful! The last one shipped and maybe the best.

Have fun!

Roy (maybe)
04-14-2004, 03:39 PM
There is another Koa Hollow Drop Top. It is at Senseney Music now! It has the more traditional Maple neck with a Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard. It is Switcheroo with Hum/Single/Hum pickup set-up.

Happy Hunting