PDA

View Full Version : cobra S tone comparison

physicshammer
06-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a curiosity question - because I live a few hours away from the nearest Anderson dealer - actually a remarkable point in fact is how much interest there is in Anderson guitars with people who have never seen one in person!

Anyway, I do have a store with a PRS singlecut trem, and the PRS custom 22 and custom 24 - with trems. What I'm wondering, from people who have played both PRS guitars and the Cobra - is how they sound similar and how they sound different. I'm not trying to start a PRS bashing thread - just comparisons between the guitars acoustically as well as the pickups!

ckofahl
06-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I own a cobra and just recently aquired a sc245. The prs sounds more vintage. I've compared it to a ri 59 lp and it sounds very similar. The cobra's sound has a more focused upper mid and has more attitude. By that I mean more aggressive. I like both, but the cobra has a more modern vibe to it.

Harker1440
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
AS a recent convert from PRS to TAG I feel there is more clarity and definition to the Tom Anderson sound as well as more flexibility with the tone shaping elements incorporated into each and every Tom Anderson Guitar.
Just my $.02:)

physicshammer
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
thanks guys.. helpful :D

Pietro
06-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I've got a PRS with a trem (not a single-cut though) and have played a few others. A buddy has two Cobras, one hollow and one solid S.

There is no comparison. They are entirely different animals. Cobra doesn't try to nail a "les paul" sound like the PRS does.

You should really have both. ;-)

schofnsteen
06-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I have a Cobra S and have tried the H2+,HO2,and finally settled on the HO1+ for the bridge.I'm VERY happy with the tone. Just my 2 cents.

jimfitz
06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey everyone,

Anyway, I do have a store with a PRS singlecut trem, and the PRS custom 22 and custom 24 - with trems. What I'm wondering, from people who have played both PRS guitars and the Cobra - is how they sound similar and how they sound different. I'm not trying to start a PRS bashing thread - just comparisons between the guitars acoustically as well as the pickups!
I own a Cobra S with a H1 and H3 and a Hollow Cobra with a H1 and H2+ for pickups. I also own a PRS SE One (One P90) and I previously owned a PRS McCarty. My Cobra S has a trem which I don't use. I have also owned Les Pauls (in the 1970s) and SGs (70s and now). The PRS McCarty came very close to a vintage Les Paul in tone. My Cobra S and Hollow Cobra sound totally different and don't sound anything like the McCarty or the LP. The tonal variations on the Cobras 5 way switch with the tone control pull on the middle position is awesome. What attracted me to the Cobras was listening to the tones that Glenn Pearce was getting with his in the MWS band. Both of my Cobras punch through the mix much better than the McCarty, especially the Cobra S. When I add my Demeter Fat Control pedal to the Cobras I get very LP like tones, especially from the Hollow Cobra. Of the two Cobras, I actually prefer the Hollow Cobra for worship, country and r&b and the Cobra S for hard rock and r&b. What a lot of people don't talk about is intonation. Hands down, the Cobras have better intonation than any electric guitar that I have ever owned. These guys have great intonation anywhere on the neck. The reason I got rid of the McCarty was that its intonation issues was driving me nuts. I also have had similiar intonations issues with LPs and SGs. Other people say they don't notice the difference, but I do. I luv my Cobras.

physicshammer
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
more stuff to consider ... :)

SonicGator
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Hands down, the Cobras have better intonation than any electric guitar that I have ever owned. These guys have great intonation anywhere on the neck. The reason I got rid of the McCarty was that its intonation issues was driving me nuts. I also have had similiar intonations issues with LPs and SGs. Other people say they don't notice the difference, but I do. I luv my Cobras.

So very true. TAG's intonate as well as or better than any other guitar out there. I had the same issues with my LP and McCarty that you experienced. Plus, the fret work on TAG's is 2nd to none.

LearnedHand
06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
As others have said, trying to compare a TAG to a PRS is like trying to compare an apple to an orange.

What you need to ask yourself is what need?

To me, When I need a guitar that can cover alot of tones, say six or more, I reach for a TAG. This is where my Cobra S comes into play. My Cobra S is my multi-tool/swiss army knife guitar. When I need a guitar that I need to have a very certain one or two humbucker tones, I reach for a PRS. If I need certain single coil tones, with a 25.5" maple neck and alder or swamp ash body, I reach for a TAG.