PDA

View Full Version : Advice on packaging my Crowdster for a coast to coast trip...

hdhoo73
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
:eek: Okay, I've been talking about it long enough...soon I plan to pack my little sweetness in a box and have Tom do the upgrade...but first...got any advice? Jean Larrivee actually recommends leaving full tension on the strings while shipping. This does not seem to be the most popular logic but just wondering what you guys and gals thought? Obviously I plan to use copious amounts of packing peanuts and bubble wrap...oh and fully insure of course! Any additional thoughts (prayers)?...this must be what it feels like when you send your kids off to college!

tom
06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
we ship at full tension all the time. padding and space around the case help a lot. ins for sure.

theatomicjeff
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Full tension on the strings won't hurt the guitar with the way Tom packs them. I've ordered two custom TAGs and was the first to pull them out of the case at my local store and strum on them.

Each was perfectly in tune. :cool:

dannopelli
06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Check out this thread.

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=5181

hdhoo73
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback to all and the link danno...any preferences here between FedEx and UPS? Thanks again to everyone for helping to ease my pain!

Jim

dannopelli
06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback to all and the link danno...any preferences here between FedEx and UPS? Thanks again to everyone for helping to ease my pain!

Jim

For domestic ground I would use UPS. Better time in transit East to West, better facilities and one carrier, (Fedex uses Fedex Ground, Fedex At Home, etc.) Although since you are going to a business it is not that big a deal. For domestic air UPS, Fedex and DHL are all about the same. Fedex and UPS have more 10:30 and 12:00 zips than DHL, but I bet TAG's site is the same for all.

For International to Europe use USPS. (It is actually Fedex but for less money and far less paperwork.) To Asia DHL. To Australia/New Zealand use UPS. Mexico and Canada UPS. To South America it is kind of a toss up. Depends on the country. From overseas to the US DHL is probably the safest bet from anywhere.

tom
06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
does this guy know his stuff or what?

Mister T
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
My understanding has always been that it is easier on a guitar neck to have things tuned up and at tension than sitting with the strings flopping or removed.

hdhoo73
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Well that pretty much settles it on string tension...Danno, you are quite the wealth of knowledge my friend!:) THX!!

dannopelli
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Well that pretty much settles it on string tension...Danno, you are quite the wealth of knowledge my friend!:) THX!!

No problem! Good luck!

Now after all that I REALLY hope it makes it there and back in one piece!