PDA

View Full Version : Graphite saddles and that chiming/ringing sound

toadcaller
05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
One thing I've noticed about my Drop Top Classic (11-15-07P (http://www.andersonguitars.com/serial.html)) is what I can only describe as a "chime" and "ring", especially when playing chords using the neck and middle pickups. I see it more as a "characteristic" than anything else, but I've heard talked to two other Classic owners who said it drove them nuts and they ended up getting rid of it by using graphite saddles.

Any input? I know this is not important in the grand scheme of things, but its raining - so I won't be doing an outdoor gig tonight!

Cheers,

D

John Price
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
2007 model? You should already be equipped with the graph tech ferraglides! They do come standard on that model/year! unless you requested something different of course.
If you don't have them I do suggest that you give them a try!

JP

toadcaller
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, that's correct. It is a 2007 with FerraGlide saddles. Would these stainless saddles possibly contribute to the sounds I'm hearing, as opposed to using "pure" graphite ones?

I hear this stuff when I play and when others play the guitar, even through about a half dozen very different amps under different conditions.

I guess I should just ask one of these guys if I can play their guitar and see if I'm just losing my mind! :D
Either way, these are the best guitars I've ever played.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/vaaspman/2007-Tom-Anderson-Drop-Top-Classic.jpg

Spelling Edit.

mbrown3
05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Ferraglides are awesome.

To me, "chime" and "ring" sound like good characteristics to describe tone.

replayboy
05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
What a beautiful guitar, if it gets too much for you, because i'm kind, i will take it off your hands !!:D

toadcaller
05-31-2008, 06:08 PM
What a beautiful guitar, if it gets too much for you, because i'm kind, i will take it off your hands !!:D

I think the chiming just stopped. :D

toadcaller
05-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Ferraglides are awesome.

To me, "chime" and "ring" sound like good characteristics to describe tone.

Subconsciously, I think it is this characteristic that sold me on this particular Classic. Case closed!

John Price
05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Personally, I never liked the complete graphite saddles, I thought they sounded a bit brittle, but the FerraGlides really do the job especially when playing live!

That is one killer Guitar! I love the specs.
How do you like the VA5's?

toadcaller
06-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Personally, I never liked the complete graphite saddles, I thought they sounded a bit brittle, but the FerraGlides really do the job especially when playing live!

That is one killer Guitar! I love the specs.
How do you like the VA5's?
Hey, thanks. Yeah this is a great configuration. I'm loving the VA5's! I'm used to humbuckers, and for a while I had trouble with the single coil in the bridge, but now I'm adjusting my set-up and am finding some great new lead tones I can't get out of any of my other guitars. No doubt this thing smacks them all for clean tones, too. I ordered a new pickguard and H2+ for the bridge but I'm not sure I will rush to try it out. I figured I could always put back the original set-up without any permanent alterations other than soldering. Trying not to make the mistake of turning it into a guitar I already have.. or an Atom! Lots to learn but I'm enjoying every minute of it. Cheers,

D

tom
06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
i too do not care for the all graphite saddles. they have a funny treble to my ears. i love the ferraglides over all else we've tried. if you've not had vintage style singles before, you may be hearing the odd thing they do interrupting the strings vibration with their high magnetic pull. you could try lowering the pickups a bit. if you count turns, you can always get back to where you were.

toadcaller
06-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Tom. The pickups are already pretty low, but I will give them a turn or two. I played the guitar for a while this morning and enjoyed every second of it.

I think I reacted to the others who brought the issue up. I know one guy is playing a Classic that is most likely pre-FerrGlides. Also (if this matters), his other guitars are 2 unmodified vintage 60s Strats. I'm finding my Ash Tele with 5-way switching can get tones more like that. Amazing.

dannopelli
06-02-2008, 10:57 AM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/vaaspman/2007-Tom-Anderson-Drop-Top-Classic.jpg

First things first...

I should have bought that guitar before you got to it!

Now to your point:
Since I know where you got it, I bet if you brought it and your amp in, the guy who sold it to you can "fix" your issue.

He used to come to my gigs and adjust my tone controls all the time. I have to tell you, he ALWAYS nailed it. And I have been at this for 40 years. Shows that you can teach an old dog. Who knows, it might even be a set up issue with PUP height. Regardless of what it is, I bet he has a remedy.

spitalny
06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I was breaking a lot of the wound strings on my 2005 TA classic. I bought (and installed) a set of Ferra glides and have not broken a single string since then! I did not notice any tonal change, but it had a huge impact on string breakage. Ferra glides are a great product. I am contemplating the "tremnut" too! Any TA fans out there have any experience with a graphite nut? Tom?

Paul

tom
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
i feel like the nut is softer than the regular tusq, so i would expect it to wear faster, and maybe sound a little duller. i've had no issues with sticking on tusq. a little nut sauce or other lube from time to time couldn't hurt.

spitalny
06-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your opinion on the ferranuts.

Any good lube recommened for a regular nut?

Thanks!

Paul

tom
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
i think the big bends nut sauce is real good. i also have some triflow here, but you have to be more careful with it since it's more liquid.

pipedwho
06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
+1 on Big Bends Nut Sauce. I used to have major sticking problems on all my guitars until I started lubricating the nuts (first with a wax/graphite mix, and then with Big Bends). The problem with the graphite loaded lubes is that it always gets everywhere.

The Graphtech Tremnut is pretty good too; I replaced a standard plastic nut on one of my cheap guitars with that and it worked perfectly. That guitar was a hard tail, and I don't use it much, so the softer teflon material hasn't worn much.

But, with that in mind, the bone and Tusq nuts I have on my other guitars seemed just as 'slippery' once I started using nut sauce during each string change. And the bone/Tusq don't show any signs of wear at all.

John Price
06-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I use BIG bends nut sauce with every string change! Love the stuff!

I have some Tri-Flow but I find that it's very hard to keep it from dripping into the fretboard slots around the nut...... The big bends sauce is very easy and controllable, so I stayed with that....

toadcaller
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
First things first...

Now to your point:
Since I know where you got it, I bet if you brought it and your amp in, the guy who sold it to you can "fix" your issue.

He used to come to my gigs and adjust my tone controls all the time. I have to tell you, he ALWAYS nailed it. And I have been at this for 40 years. Shows that you can teach an old dog. Who knows, it might even be a set up issue with PUP height. Regardless of what it is, I bet he has a remedy.

Hey, Dan! She's a keeper! I thought that guy was just a "set up" guy. Guess I should have known better. He sold me an acoustic today. Not instead of the Crowdster I will one day grab, but in addition to. I will take the TAG to him this week and see what he's got. GREAT idea!!! :D

Hope you're doing well,

D

toadcaller
06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
[CENTER]
First things first...

Now to your point:

Hey, Dan. He took care of it! Awesome. Perfection. He adjusted the pup height and swapped out the tone capacitor, which seems to have a broader range now. I'm not sure which had the most effect, but I played it for a good three hours today... just like the day I got it. I even canceled my new pickguard/H2+ order (though I am still getting the H2+ and will use it on another guitar). Thanks!