PDA

View Full Version : Locking terms

schofnsteen
05-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Are locking terms a thing of the past? Would they lessen the resale of a guitar today?

Rupe
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I would worry less about resale value and more about your needs and preferences. If anything, it appears to me that locking trems are making a comeback, but I don't have actual marketing data to prove that...perhaps someone else here might. They are still being offered by top builders such as Anderson and Suhr, as well as many of the larger corporate entities like Charvel/Jackson, Ibanez, ESP...the list goes on. Kahler has also re-entered the market place.

I personally have a mix of locking and non-locking trems in my collection...they each serve their purpose. For heavy trem use, I still haven't found a non-locking system that can hang with a good Floyd Rose.

tom
05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
for us they're holding pretty steady. more over seas than domestic. a little less than 10% is my guess. no question they work, so if you need that there's no reason not to get one.

dpeterson
06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/builder_profiles/images/floyd_rose/floyd-small.jpg

:)

dave

michaelomiya
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Every strat I own has a Floyd Rose. As Rupe notes, the fact that Suhr and tom still offer locking trems (Suhr's migrated to Gotoh's), is enough for me. With the exception of the modification to add fine tuners, this piece of equipment is virtually unchanged since it's introduction in '79/'80 - and it's still being sold today. IMHO, this says a lot about it's design and it's relevance.

Devnor
06-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm really digging the new Gotoh trem on my new 10th Anniversary Suhr. Love the new bar holder on the gotoh. The fine tuners are a little thicker which makes tuning a bit easier.

Although all the Floyds that came on TAG guitars were perfect, I still have yet to get rid of the open string buzz on your (michaelomiya's) old Magenta Suhr Standard and a USA Dean ML. What ever your doing Tom...keep it up!

tom
06-05-2008, 11:45 AM
floyds require complete disassembly and proper reasembley, but when they're right they work. we had recently considered the gotoh because floyd delivery has been so unpredictable. we couldn't get quite the nut spacing we wanted with the gotoh and we just got our yearly shipment of floyds so we're floyd for at least another year. if you've been waiting for a floyd guitar it'll probably get built real soon. this week is a floyd festival...maybe it's festivous!

mbrown3
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
this week is a floyd festival...maybe it's festivous!

Get out the aluminum pole!

Dave K
06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
if you've been waiting for a floyd guitar it'll probably get built real soon. this week is a floyd festival...maybe it's festivous!

Do you break out the spandex and Aqua Net during Floyd week? ;)

michaelomiya
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
if you've been waiting for a floyd guitar it'll probably get built real soon. this week is a floyd festival...maybe it's festivous!

that's right, and I want to hear nothing BUT Van Halen, White Lion, Loudness and Night Ranger playing throughout the week (as a testament to the "wang bar" kings, Eddie, Vito, Akira and Brad!):cool: :cool: :cool:

tom
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
the spandex comment was scaring me, but now i'm really scared:eek:

hdhoo73
06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Get out the aluminum pole!

:D LOL!!..."it's time for the feats of strength!"...

mbrown3
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
As I rained blows down upon him, I realized there had to be another way!

Casper
06-06-2008, 05:50 AM
I LOVED the Kahler Steeler on my first DT! I made the mistake of getting a Gotoh replacement.....because the gold was fading :eek: Such an idiot...
I heard they are available again? Tom, what happened with those and what made you change over to Floyds?
Shaun

michaelomiya
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I LOVED the Kahler Steeler on my first DT! I made the mistake of getting a Gotoh replacement.....

Shaun what didn't you like about the Gotoh locking bridge? I played a couple Suhr's last week (with the new Gotoh's) and they "felt" stiff (probably due to having 5 springs - but there was a cavity cover on the back). And the fine tuners were definitely not as smooth as the OFR's.

tom
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
as far as i know the steeler is not being made. they are making their original top mount trem. i loved the steeler too. we'll never know the whole story, but floyd upped the royalty to a number that kahler could not deal with(in an effort to put them out of business i heard. it worked).

Casper
06-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike,
Maybe I phrased that wrong. I love Gotoh tuners, The trem just didn't convey the guitars tone to me and the arm adjustment was hard to deal with.
Now this was 15 years ago, and I'm sure it has a different design by now...
They are probably great now...
Shaun

Harker1440
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I wish they still made the Floyd Rose without the fine tuners it made it so much easier to tune, oh well :(
Atleast whammy bar guitar heroes of the 80's are making a comeback:D

markus
06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Floyd week sounds GREAT to me folks!!! :D
Especially seeing that I have a DT with a Floyd on order for June! ;)
Here's another TAG beauty with a Floyd...
http://ninamarkus.smugmug.com/photos/257201227_FMVzP-L.jpg

michaelomiya
06-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Floyd week sounds GREAT to me folks!!! :D
Especially seeing that I have a DT with a Floyd on order for June! ;)
Here's another TAG beauty with a Floyd...
http://ninamarkus.smugmug.com/photos/257201227_FMVzP-L.jpg

Markus, that's beautiful! What's the S/N on that classic?

markus
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Michael! :) Serial# is 05-26-07A

jwp
06-08-2008, 09:05 AM
All this talk of locking trems makes me want to retro fit my Hollow-T with an old Wonderbar I have collecting dust. At least I think it's collecting dust, haven't seen it since I put it the "spares" box back in about '86 or so.

killerburst
06-08-2008, 01:35 PM
as far as i know the steeler is not being made. they are making their original top mount trem. i loved the steeler too. we'll never know the whole story, but floyd upped the royalty to a number that kahler could not deal with(in an effort to put them out of business i heard. it worked).

It's probably true that we will never know the whole story. However, when I worked for Floyd he told me that Kahler never paid a royalty for the Steeler. So he took him to court. That was the end of the Kahler
Steeler, if not APM altogether. He didn't mention to me that he changed the terms of the license agreement, but I would speculate that if he did change it, but changed it ONLY for Kahler, Kahler could certainly have counter-sued.

Floyd noted it was awfully bold of Gary Kahler to refuse to pay a royalty, even though "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" was actually printed on the bridge. I guess the judge thought so, too.

michaelomiya
06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks Michael! :) Serial# is 05-26-07A

thanks Markus....I have a feeling that your classic's gonna have a "twin"!!:D

markus
06-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Right on, Michael! :cool:

jem5150
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/jem5150/chance6B.jpg

Tortoise Drop Top with Original Floyd Rose 7-20-97A.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/jem5150/Andersonclassic5B.jpg

Black classic with Original Floyd Rose 5-20-07A

I have 2 Andersons with blocked Floyds and 2 with regular trems. Nothing beats a well set up Floyd for staying in tune. I play in an Iron Maiden and a Queensryche tribute band and for these projects I need a Floyd. Overall I don't use the trem that much but I enjoy the sturdiness and security of a Floyd. Something to consider is the wider string spacing on a Floyd it may take some getting used to. I've never felt ashamed of Floyds even during the 90's and I've always loved all types of music. There's nothing wrong with listening to White Lion one minute and Dave Mathews the next lol....