PDA

View Full Version : 2nd at bat - Help Me Decide

X - Road 28
05-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Need your collective wisdom on this one folks. My 1st try at a TAG did not go as well as I planned, we didn't bond. So I've narrowed down my search and am close to swinging at it, but needed a bit of information.

I'll give you what I had and what I'm thinking of, let me know if I'm derailing myself.

Before:

Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Mahogany
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickups - H1 SA1 H3
Switching - 5 Way, Mini Switch Splits, Pull Adds Bridge, Vintage Voicing.

Now

Model - Drop Top
Body Finish - Desert Sunset
Body Wood - Quilted Maple on Alder
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Gold
Bridge - Sunken Floyd Rose
Pickups - SF1R SF1 H2+
Switching - Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing

Seems to me the - now one - will give me all the versatility I would ever need.

Discuss freely, be brutal.

X

Road King
05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
You have to go for what speaks to you, but your "before" is pretty much exactly my next TAG all the way down to color. :D What seemed wrong with the "before" model? Never heard the maple/alder combo to my knowledge but it sounds interesting. I play a hollow drop top T, maple on ash, and I must say it is a much more versitile guitar than anything else I have ever owned. Even with the scooped mid character of the wood combination it does everything I I have thrown its way pretty well and most of them awesome. I want the mahog/maple combination for a few more sweet mid / looser low tones. As per pickups, for my ears I can get more versatility out of hummers with spliters than SCs. I'm not a Floyd guy but that is probably laziness and asthetics more than anything. I'm totally satisfied with my vintage trem but then again I use it in Vai mode. Whatever you decide on, good luck.:) You couldn't really pick a better builder to do it.

tom
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
without knowing what didn't work about the first one it's hard to advise.

X - Road 28
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Road King,

It was mostly due to the shade of the RW, I prefer a darker board. Secondly, I am more comfortable with an S/S/H configuration, which is why I'm leaning towards the one I'm looking at.

Tom,

What can I expect from the SF1R/SF1/H2+ with the Switcheroo?

BTW, returning my 1st was brutal. The quality and attention to detail was excellent, although I'm sure the next will be the same.

X

LearnedHand
05-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Your BEFORE seem to be a pretty good combination. If I was into that market I would have order it the same way. All those wood work together. I can understand an H-S-H combo is a "heavy" rock/metal combo; but you did not order the floyd. You said the rosewood was light. Well in comes in different shades. I assume you are using indian rosewood. I have four guitar with rosewood fretboards. The color shades range from almost black to very light amber with dark oil spots from the tips of my fingers.

To me, not knowing anything about anything going on, I think the best combo was the wood on the BEFORE guitar and just insert the electronics in the after guitar. Or take the AFTER guitar and forget the floyd and use Tom vintage trem. I sometimes will whammy the hell out of mine. I don't miss having a floyd locking trem.

So I would do this:
Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Mahogany
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickups - SF1R SF1 H2+

Or this,
Model - Drop Top
Body Finish - Desert Sunset
Body Wood - Quilted Maple on Alder
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Gold
Bridge - Vintage Tremelo
Pickups - SF1R SF1 H2+

strat56
05-24-2008, 07:40 AM
I can't comment on much except your new wood choice. I have three maple on alder guitars with maple/rosewood necks and that is my favorite tone. I'm not very technical or can be very descriptive about what it is about the combination that appeals to me other than to say it sounds right. I've always liked a bright sound and that wood combination seems to give me the sound I like. Guess that wasn't much help.

Mister T
05-24-2008, 10:09 AM
My 1st try at a TAG did not go as well as I planned, we didn't bond.
X

expand on that.

what didnt work about your first one?

X - Road 28
05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
expand on that.

what didnt work about your first one?

Mister T,

As silly as it may sound I simply preferred a darker shade of rosewood on the fretboard, that along with the H/S/H. I would like to chase down a TAG with a dark board and S/S/H.

That said my first was a beauty, but I couldn't keep it based on looks only.

X

MEP
05-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I have used both the Switcheroo and the standard 5 way switch with push pull pots. For studio work, I prefer the Switcheroo but for live situations, I prefer the standard 5 way switch. I feel like I can switch sounds faster and know where I am without looking down with the 5 way. The Switcheroo is cool and offers all combinations but just isn't as fast for me. YMMV

ryman150
05-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I have used both the Switcheroo and the standard 5 way switch with push pull pots. For studio work, I prefer the Switcheroo but for live situations, I prefer the standard 5 way switch. I feel like I can switch sounds faster and know where I am without looking down with the 5 way. The Switcheroo is cool and offers all combinations but just isn't as fast for me. YMMV

I totally agree with this... both are rockin, but the 5-way setup is great live. And you gotta love the blower switch on both. What a great idea.

Also, why did you decide to go from Hollow to solid body? Just curious? Most of mine are hollow, and I love em. I have been playing my Drop Top Classic a bit lately, and it's rockin too... I think I just like playing a light guitar if I have the choice. :)

dannopelli
05-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Yeah I have to say the same. Switcheroo is ULTIMATE versatility. And I know a lot of guys can do wonders with it live. Just did not work for me.

One suggestion: Get a Drop Top Classic. If you do not like the electronics you can try different things just by getting different pick ups or entire loaded pick guards.

Road King
05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
whats a blower switch:confused:

strat56
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
whats a blower switch:confused:

+1, blower switch?

pipedwho
05-26-2008, 08:15 AM
The "blower switch" is the 4th switch on the switcheroo arrangement that selects between 'three switch selection' and 'full bridge humbucker'. The idea is that you set the three selection switches to whatever mode you want, and then use the blower to toggle between that setting and the bridge 'bucker for soloing.

theatomicjeff
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
My two cents:
I would advise getting the blower/switcheroo - whatever that little toggle's name is. I love mine, especially for the neck single coil position. Using it gives quite a bit of "umph" to that position when needed.

I would avoid getting a Hollow version. I know many like it and it sounds great unplugged but it takes away a little of the mids when plugged through an amp. You want your mids, you know?

See the specs on my 08-31-07N but you'd probably want 10's on it instead of 9's and perhaps a vintage trem bridge. Floyds are great if your a heavy trem user but if not, I would advise against it.

Model - Drop Top
Body Finish - Desert Sunset with Binding
Body Wood - Flame Maple on Alder
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple
Neck Finish - Satin Finish
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Jumbo
Back Shape - Even Taper Oversized .030 inch
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Non-Tremolo Fixed Bridge
Pickguard -
Pickups - SA2R SA2 H2+