PDA

View Full Version : E string catching on the pickup/It's my bad!

Kid Metric
05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
It seems I go in phases with my playing, and my latest bad habit type trick seems to be to catch the thin E string on the lip of the pickup-SA1 style pickup;and the string won't come back until I give it a good tug.
I know I will work around this, as my playing will always be evolving.
I went for 3 years with TAG's without this little hangup, and I wonder where it came from.
I was curious to know if anyone else has had to work through this?

"Too many guitars"-can you say "Dog Party?"

02-09-97A Hollow Classic
04-28-03A Hollow T Contuored Classic
04-16-06A Classic
11-06-06P Hollow Drop Top Cassic-My favourite, from Magdon, of course!
03-30-07N-Hollow Drop Top

ckofahl
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I had the same problem with 3 of my tags, but it's because I'm a fairly hard strummer. I quickly learned how to play nice with them and I've not had any more problems. The first time it happend was in the middle of a solo and this note rang out and I couldn't figure out what was going on till I looked down and the pickup and the high e string was stuck underneath the edge of the pickup. The bass player looked at me and then asked me how I got that sound in the middle of my solo, he though it was some kind of effect of something. I just smiled and said "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"

tom
05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
we hear about it from time to time. it's always a mystery to me how it happens. i can't make it happen. but it does to other people. since you didn't have a problem before i'd look at what you're doing differently. you really have to pull the string way out there to catch it. that is one advantage to the VA's and SC's, the cover stops it completely.