PDA

View Full Version : WHY do we own so many axes?

michaelomiya
03-30-2004, 01:23 AM
OK, the question of what guitars and amps reside in the closets of the members of each "gear" forum is a FAQ.

But WHY do we all have this insatiable appetite for guitars, amps, and pedals?

Perhaps this is a rhetorical question, given that we all (apparently) suffer from huge amounts of gear acquisition syndrome, at least based on mwoeppel's "How many do you have?" thread.

I know that my "affliction" is a result of a love of music and those icons and tones who have influenced generations. Playing w/ others, and for others, who share the same influences certainly is a reason for my gear addiction. I mean, really, how long can you play that Ibanez RG through a Crate, before you get tired of mosquito buzz OD? (no offense to anyone w/ a Crate or Ibanez RG or both:D) Worse, trying playing w/ other "gear snobs" (you know who you are :p ) and whipping out an Ibanez or another "mass produced" axe (hey, I know, I've got several wolfgangs!!!:D )

oscar100
03-30-2004, 02:43 AM
cos we are viking warriors from valhalla!

:D

michaelomiya
03-30-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by oscar100
cos we are viking warriors from valhalla!

as in:

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, and sing and cry,
Valhalla, I am coming...."

"On we sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore"

OK, I get it!!

tom
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
for me it's that quest for the illusive tone. i always feel like it could be just a bit better than it is. maybe i should practice more instead.... nah.

mbrown3
03-30-2004, 11:19 AM
There is the feeling that we can always be getting a better sound. It's also being a part of a consumer society. We fill up our lives with things, but that doesn't make us happy, so we go after more. (I'm talking about myself here - I'm jonesing for the next TA! Can't wait to see what this secret new one is going to be!)...

JoeB63
03-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Because we can only have one wife.

joe1962
03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
I have several amps and guitars because I play several styles of music and find that some amps and guitars are better suited for certain sounds than others.

At the same time if I could only afford to keep one guitar and amp I could probably cover most everything pretty well with my Hollow Drop Top and Mesa Mark IV amp.

mbrown3
03-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by JoeB63

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

My gosh that was funny (because it's true!). I'm sitting here laughing really loud at my desk...my co-workers think I'm crazy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-CM-
03-30-2004, 12:19 PM
For me, it's a matter of having a variety of options with which to learn. (Plus I tend to jump into things in a big way once I get interested - for instance, I have 6 bicycles, too.) If you look at my list in the other thread, you will see that all of the guitars I have are different, and cover a wide range of possibilities. (Except for the 2 Larrivee LV05MTs - that's a duplication with a story.)

I may end up eliminating some or maybe even most of them, but right now it's fun to have all of them. And the amps, too.

mbrown3
03-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that's a good call, too. I have the HDTC for "stratty" tones and the Baker for "Paul-y" tones. I can cover all bases with the two...wide musical ground.

JoeB63
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by mbrown3
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

My gosh that was funny (because it's true!). I'm sitting here laughing really loud at my desk...my co-workers think I'm crazy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Of course I was completely serious. If I could sleep with as many woman as I wanted to (without having to work at it), I would never pick up a guitar again, let alone collect them.

If my wife asks, I was just kidding here.

mwoeppel
03-30-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm interested in exploring how the different guitars sound and feel. Sometimes, I'll buy it, play it for awhile, then sell it if it doesn't inspire me.

Of course, sometimes I just get GAS.

Wondering what Tom's new one it going to be....

And what about those mini-humbuckers??

And that new Cobra???

I still don't have a Crowdster...:D

michaelomiya
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Of course I was completely serious. If I could sleep with as many woman as I wanted to (without having to work at it), I would never pick up a guitar again, let alone collect them.

If my wife asks, I was just kidding here.

:D :D :D :D :cool:

andersonguy
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
for me it's that quest for the illusive tone. i always feel like it could be just a bit better than it is.

Tom nailed it for me exactly. I do have my favorite, but when I play one of my other Adersons, after about 5 minutes its gift is obvious, each one is special. Many times I have felt totally satisfied with my gear but there is always that little voice inside pushing me to search for the ever illusive tone that I know exsists for me somewhere.
This drives me to keep trying new gear, not to mention its fun!

Life is short, Play guitar!!:D :D

AG

Scott Peterson
04-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Joe nailed it. :D

I am just obsessed with gear. Always have been; always will be.

MikeHil
04-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Doesn't Yngwie own like 100 guitars?

So, who's to say how many is too many?

Just keep buying 'em... right Tom? ;)

michaelomiya
04-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by MikeHil
Doesn't Yngwie own like 100 guitars?

So, who's to say how many is too many?

Yngwie!!!:D thank you!

Mark, back me up here!!
:cool:

mwoeppel
04-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm with them!

Life is too short to not have tone!

mw

Marty S Horne
04-28-2004, 12:51 PM
I think that because each guitar has its own feel, sound, look,etc. they bring out different facets of our playing styles. Not that we sound like different people, but when I play a Les Paul, I tend to play differently than I do on a Strat. Plus with so many great guitars around these days, it's only natural to want as many as we can afford.

pluto
04-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Yngwie!!!:D thank you!

Mark, back me up here!!
:cool:

Sorry Mike, didn't follow this thread until now. Yeah, Yngwie!!! Didn't expect to see that name on this board! He's cool, just a tad (actually, very much) overweight!! He probably does own 100's of guitars though, none of which are TAGs unfortunately!

andersonguy
04-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Hey, Some people collect cars, or boats, or postage stamps. Im sure each has their own G.A.S. exclusive to their interests. It must be human nature to want to collect things. I just saw a commercial about a woman who collects all things about elsie the cow! Go Figure. I love my guitars, its a great connection to a different world. We are so fortunate to have this ability to play music and enjoy it. 100 is a bit much, I doubt if many of those guitars get much play, and that is what they are for isnt it?;)

AG

michaelomiya
04-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by BrianH
One's too many, and 25 just isn't enough.

(taken from my AA for guitars meeting).

hey, where do I sign up?!?

Class5
05-15-2004, 11:34 PM

Precisely. Monogamy be damned, I can have as many guitars as my budget will allow.

"It's all part, of my rock & roll fantasy . . ."

tmihm
05-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
I just saw a commercial about a woman who collects all things about elsie the cow! Go Figure. AG
I saw a post about someone wanting to buy "anything 'Little Red Riding Hood'"......:confused:

Not on this forum, I should add.:D